Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Well these are the averages recommended.
Most people say every 3,000 miles for an oil changed but there really is no need. I say about every 6000 miles. Read here about the 3000 myth
You should have your brakes checked every 6 months for safety purposes.
And you should have wheel alignments done about every 10-15,000 miles.

These are just rule of thumbs. Sometimes these things are not necessary this often, and only if you feel something is wrong. Your best judgment is the key. And if you're concerned just have a mechanic take a look and see.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Read here about the 3000 myth
The reason for recommending a 3,000 interval oil change is because of how dirty the oil gets which is the cause of sludge build up, not oil "wearing out". Which sludge will contribute to engine failure due to plugged oil channels that starve vital engine parts of lubrication. It doesnt mean oil companies are saying the oil wears out fast, it means the oil gets so gunky, the heat from the engine bakes that muck to the inside of your engine and causes problems. To fix the sludge and dirty oil problem is to do more frequent oil changes. Nowhere in any oil testing do they state anything about lubricating properties when the oil is contaminated, they use fresh oil and analyse the lube life profile. Nowhere does it say oil wont cake to your engine and causes blocked passages due to inadequate oil changes nor does it say the oil will stay clean in the 7,500 mile period. (IMO, clean oil is better than dirty oil) (keep in mind this statement is in my opinion) The cause of engine failure is NOT due to the fact of oil wear, but contamination. I always tell people to think of dirty oil in an engine as packing your wheel bearings with greasy sand. We all know your bearings wont last very long. Thats my opinion on why I support frequent oil changes is because of oil contamination, not oil wearing out.

·
Registered
555 Posts
EDIT: link i posted earlier was worthless lol

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Oil changes should generally go around when the OLM says so, that comes directly from Pontiac. Change it earlier if you're careful or don't drive very much or drive it like a dog. I use synthetic but it's not necessary.

I never check my breaks soooooooo, but you should really at least once a year (inspection station will do that for you).

Alignment about every 15K miles or so or when you notice a pull or stange tire wear or shaking and baking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks a lot I was just researching so that I would give my G6 a proper maintenance...:)

·
Registered
555 Posts
maykevin5...Is that the beauty wax tool?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts