Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new to the forum but have had my 05 G6 for about 2 1/2 years now. Trying to get it ready to sell cause my oldest son has special needs and as he has gotten older he needs a special car seat that is just way to big for this car so I had to get something a little larger. But the check engine light had come on and I figured out the items I needed to fix so I've been working my way through those. Not a mechanic but have just grown up with my dad working on our cars and just learned by watching and helping him. But I was replacing my thermostat this morning and noticed this piece was broken off. It's obviously been broken before because in the pictures you can see whoever it was tried to fix it with gorilla glue. As dumb as I feel having to ask, I just am not sure what this is. But I figured someone here would know. :) Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
78 Posts
That is part of the evap system. That little green cap comes off to expose a shreader valve used to smoke test the evap system to track down leaks. I think there is a one-way check valve on there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey everyone, new to the forum but have had my 05 G6 for about 2 1/2 years now. Trying to get it ready to sell cause my oldest son has special needs and as he has gotten older he needs a special car seat that is just way to big for this car so I had to get something a little larger. But the check engine light had come on and I figured out the items I needed to fix so I've been working my way through those. Not a mechanic but have just grown up with my dad working on our cars and just learned by watching and helping him. But I was replacing my thermostat this morning and noticed this piece was broken off. It's obviously been broken before because in the pictures you can see whoever it was tried to fix it with gorilla glue. As dumb as I feel having to ask, I just am not sure what this is. But I figured someone here would know. :) Thanks for any input!

View attachment 18433

View attachment 18434 View attachment 18435

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is the "evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve." It has a white ring on the bottom that must be pressed before pulling up and out. Otherwise, it breaks. Glue does not work well with parts like these. Best thing to do is to get a new valve and hose from another used car (yards, used parts stores) or new from an auto parts store; they aren't that expensive (usually).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the "evaporative emission (EVAP) canister purge valve." It has a white ring on the bottom that must be pressed before pulling up and out. Otherwise, it breaks. Glue does not work well with parts like these. Best thing to do is to get a new valve and hose from another used car (yards, used parts stores) or new from an auto parts store; they aren't that expensive (usually).
Thank you very much for the feedback! The car had been throwing some evap codes and I fixed one by replacing the gas cap. I'll check into swapping this out as well.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
78 Posts
Thank you very much for the feedback! The car had been throwing some evap codes and I fixed one by replacing the gas cap. I'll check into swapping this out as well.
Any break in the evap will cause a code so this is definitely your problem. A new purge solenoid will get you all fixed up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the forum, but the evap system is an entirely closed loop from the gas cap to the fuel tank to the engine, where all of the raw gas fumes the evap system collects gets burned in the combustion chambers. Any broken hose or clamp in the evap system will cause a vacuum leak and throw an OBD code. Most all components are near the fuel tank, charcoal canister, purge valve, etc. Look for old cracked hoses between components, etc. Also, there is a membrane that seals the charcoal in the charcoal canister. If that membrane breaks, it'll throw a code as well. It's a troubleshooting issue, poke around yourself and save $125 per hour, lol...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I was able to replace the solenoid super easy. $25 part, but part of the old solenoid is broken off inside the part I showed in the pictures above. I cannot for the life of me find that part that has the green cap anywhere so I'm not sure if I'm just not searchign for the correct thing or not. But anything related to the canister purge valve or solenoid just brings up the part I already replaced. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All the other parts i'm seeing look completely different.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts