Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is for all the canadian G6 owners who are having the steering lock-up or any issues related to the electric steering. After doing a lot of research, the only documentation I could find was for residents of the United States. I decided I would post my findings here to help all of you out who are/will be having this issue and are residents of Canada.

After searching my vehicles VIN on many websites, none of them had showed that there were any recalls or service bulletins on my car, even through the Pontiac website! I was not happy, because clearly this problem exists and GM only wants to notify United States customers and not Canadian customers.

I contacted GM through 1-800-263-3777 and if I remember correctly, I hit the key for other enquiries. I spoke to a man named Roger, and he proceeded to tell me that my car is in perfect shape and there are absolutely no recalls. After explaining the problem to him, and telling him that I know GM sent out notices to customers in the United States, he put me on hold. After a few minutes he came back telling me that they DO know of the issue, and not all cars have the problem. He once again searched my VIN and found that it did infact qualify to be repaired, free of charge. He then put me on hold and booked me an appointment with Jim Gauthier (our local pontiac dealer) for tomorrow.

I'm very glad that GM is covering this, though I hate the fact that they are hiding this from us as it is a huge safety hazard (as most of us already know), and it shouldnt be such a hassle for us to get it fixed. I will post back tomorrow once I take my car in and let you know of the final result. So for those of you who did not get the letter, chances are you are still eligable!

·
Da.v3
597 Posts
ooo a fellow winnipegger

i wonder if mine has this issue...i only notice a clunk in the steering SOMETIMES - only when i turn VERY tight and slow...ie backing out of a parking spot or down or up the driveway and so on...not a real issue imo but eh

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Howdy! As far as I know, the GTPs have hydraulic steering, so you dont have to worry about this issue. As for the clicking, its the intermediate steering shaft and its a common problem with most GM vehicles. I have to lube mine every 6 months, otherwise it just drives me crazy haha.

Also - the shop was apparently overbooked so I have to go back on tuesday. I wonder if theyre going to replace the shaft as well - even though its just going to start clicking again in time.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This is excellent info for Canadians to have. Were you actually experiencing the lockup or was this just precautionary? Also, do you know what models/years were affected? For example would my '05 GT qualify? I heard about this issue many times before but didn't really worry about it, because it could never happen to me! lol.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know, the 05 gt's qualify as well. GM won't replace the steering assist motor UNLESS you are experiencing problems. You have to physically contact them, or go to a GM dealer that is aware of the issue. They will try to tell you there is no recall so if you do have to fix it, they will make you pay out of your own pocket. It is listed in their computer under something called "Special Bulletins" or something like that, where they have to search your vin for specifically for it. GM was giving me the runaround until i told them I was aware of the recall in the united states, as well as the recall on cobalts and g5's here in canada, and told them that the parts are the same in the G6. After that, he put me on hold and said "oh yes, I found it in a different screen not under recalls. Not everyone experiences this problem but it will be fixed at no cost to you" so watch out ;)

I was experiencing problems with mine (still am since its not fixed yet). Ive owned the car for 2 years, and it just started last year. I first noticed it when I was driving and the road was slightly slanted to the left. All of a sudden the car thought i was steering that way, so it tried assisting me and I was literally driving with my steering wheel turned half a turn to the right to try and fight it. It just happens out of nowhere. I dont let any family or friends drive the car, because if this has never happened to you before, chances are youre going to go right into a curb, go off the road, or into another vehicle or pedestrian. Ive never actually had it completely lock up though. Just last week, my DIC finally displayed "Power Steering" and gave an error code C0460, which is the steering position sensor. The shop i took it to didnt want to touch it, and that was when I decided to call GM.

My car is only 5 years old with 80,000kms on it. So be careful and watch out for this problem in your g6.

Just another addition and with research ive done:
05-06 G6's with the 3.5L engine use the electric steering assist motor. Once GM was aware of issues, they went back to the hydraulic system for most of the 07's and up. This is why you will see a horsepower decrease of about 15hp (or something around that number) in their specs.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. The part was replaced at no charge to me. Since having it replaced, the car has never steered so great. Only thing to do now is to change the front drivers axel hub assembly, and the passenger control arm. Then my car will be driving straight! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts