Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new wheels and the gap between the lugs and the wheels is too small, i cant use a tire iron to take them off also the one that comes in the trunk also is too big. What can i use to take them off?

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Use a regular socket on a breaker bar. They often have thinner walls to fit in the tight space. I say a breaker bar because those chrome sockets are not rated for impact use.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They aren't too tight, the tire shop put them on for me. They came with the wheels so they are aftermarket.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
If they are aftermarket lugs, there should be a special socket for them which extends out enough to use your tire iron

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
You should snap a pic of them if possible so we can get a better idea if what exactly is holding you up. To me it sounds like regular lugs with tight fitment, but now it sounds like you have those "tuner" lugs. If you do I have a tuner socket that I don't use anymore.

·
Registered
158 Posts
You need the "tuner" wheel lock key. Advance auto and autozone sell them. But only in kits. You cant just buy the key. Check online and I'm sure its available somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I'm not convinced they're tuner lugs, In the one picture it looks like the locking lug. But below you can see part of the other lug that looks like a standard lug.

I used to run "tuner" lugs, but not anymore, The tool looks like this:

I don't need it anymore, you're welcome to it, but I don't think it'll work for you.
You need the locking key for that lug.
The other lugs you should be able to get to with a deep well thin walled socket like this:

My recommendation is go to Autozone or pepboys or sears or something, get one individual socket and see if it fits, People at the auto store may be alright with you taking it out to make sure it'll fit in there.

If you're having problems getting the lock nut out and you can't get the key for it. I would say shop around, there are universal kits out there and things of that nature. Just need to match up the key with the lug.

·
Registered
158 Posts
They do look a little different than the tuner style lug key but very similar now that I see that other picture. At least you know its not common and your wheels wont get stolen, haha :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts