Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has a 2007 G6 HTC. I want to tow it on a car dolly behind our motorhome . The wife says no way it will put to much stress on the body doing so.(twist and flex). I was wondering if anyone on the forum has towed there G6 HTC behind a RV on a dolly. If so, any issues. I feel if I get a front strut tower tie bar and a good dolly we should be good to go. I need ammunition here.:p

·
Registered
470 Posts
I haven't towed my G6 but as with and FWD automatic vehicle the front wheels need to be on a dolly and the rear wheels can be on the road. A plus would be if you tow it enough you won't have to worry about rotating the tires as it will help maintain even tread wear between the front and rear ;)

Even with the convertible roof, most convertibles built in the last 15 years use added structural bracing to reduce twist/flex, hence why they weigh more than their sedan brothers. I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
360cuin

Thanks for your reply. I decided to go to the bible (owners manual) and low and behold it stated the car can be towed on a dolly. It also stated I can flat tow the vehicle as long as it does not have a 3.9 lt., Which it does not.It does state however the car should be idled at rest stops for at least 5 minutes to keep lubrication in all the needed place while flat towing as a toad.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would still use a dolly with any FWD automatic as you can't completely disconnect the transmission from the drive wheels. Strange why the manual would say the 3.9 is a no go, but it's fine with the other engines. I wouldn't trust flat towing it. Besides, having the front end off the road will wear the rear tires more in line to the front tires as the vehicle is front weight biased so you can cheapen out on your next tire rotation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been dolly towing and flat towing my 2009 g6 since I bought it 2009. Just follow the owners manual and don't forget to remove the 2 amp ignition sensor fuse......why, I have no idea :confused:...only because they told me to. Oh, no problems, either. As a matter of fact, we're on the road right now :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts