Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Pontiac g6 and my old key got broken in the car door where you unlock and lock . So I got the key out the thing is is that the new key wont start the car it will crank for a sec then stop. Nothing wrong with the battery or alternator. So do I have to replace the car cylinder lock? Maybe that's the promblem?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I believe you need to have the key programmed to run the car. I'm not entirely sure, but i remember hearing that some years of the car had a different key set-up. Hopefully one of the other members can come and correct me if I am mistaken. Please take my input with a grain of salt. I know when I got my new key for my 06, it just worked, nothing too fancy or difficult. FoB's do have to be specifically programmed though using a GM Tech2 set-up or some other means of programming. Most locksmiths can do that for you and they may even be able to answer your question. You could also call a semi-local GM dealer and ask them why your car might be doing that. They might be able to diagnose it for you without you taking it to them since, y'know, it won't crank currently and it might be something simple and obvious to them like a theft sensor not recognizing the key for example..? I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
441 Posts
@NuptupTDOW is correct. Ultimately you need a transponder key and have it programmed to the car. The transponder keys usually have a plus within a circle embossed on the metal part of the key If you have the old parts of the broken key you may be able to hold or tape it it near the ignition key whilst you use the newly cut key to start the car. This should fool the security system into thinking the correct key is inserted as it will sense the transponder. My guess is that the transponder is in the plastic part of the key (as the metal would most likely block the signal), but this is just a guess.

If you do get a new transponder key cut there is a long relearn process that involves the old and new key. Using the same "fool the security system" trick you should be able to get the new key working. The quick relearn requires a advanced scan tool like a Tech II

Good luck with the fix or work-a-round.

·
Registered
103 Posts
@NuptupTDOW is correct.
Thanks for letting me know. Also, to clarify some things, do all of the G6's have a transponder key, or just certain year models? Because I am fairly certain my key was just cut and put in and I don't even think it has a transponder, but my fob did need the Tech II to get working. I may be wrong, but I am fairly certain that's what happened behind those closed locksmith doors.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I cannot speak for all models or years but I have a 2007 and it has the transponder key.
Because I am fairly certain my key was just cut and put in and I don't even think it has a transponder
You may well be correct, but that is kind of my point. If the new key does not have a transponder or it is not coded to the car, it should not work. Check what is left of the old key if you have it, most likely it does have a transponder. The service manual mentions that the security system sends a "fuel continue password" when it senses the transponder, which may explain the short lived start up you are experiencing. Hope this helps

1 - 9 of 9 Posts