Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Car shaking during braking and 70+ MPH

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Restojoe 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I used to have an issue with the car shaking while I applied the brakes or went anywhere above 70 MPH. My father and I thought it was warped rotors, so we purchased new rotors and pads which caused the shaking to go away. About a week after, the car is having the same issues. Any of you have ideas on what else it could be? Thanks. :)

#2 ·
Could be a number of things. Including your new rotors and pads if you got them hot enough. did you buy high quality or cheap lower grade brake parts. Some mid grade brake parts are not good enough. Also check to see what size your car calls for. There are two sizes available for the g6. Make sure you have the correct size. If all that checks out correctly, you tires can cause your car to shake.
getting back to your brakes,,, i forgot to mention. Do not ride your foot on the brake pedal that will cause an over heat situation.
if not the above,maybe consider a mechanics diagnosis depending on your capabilty.
there are still otherposibilities as well. When it comes to safety items do not get the cheapest, get the best for the kind of driving you do.

#8 ·
Could be a number of things. Including your new rotors and pads if you got them hot enough. did you buy high quality or cheap lower grade brake parts. Some mid grade brake parts are not good enough. Also check to see what size your car calls for. There are two sizes available for the g6. Make sure you have the correct size. If all that checks out correctly, you tires can cause your car to shake.
getting back to your brakes,,, i forgot to mention. Do not ride your foot on the brake pedal that will cause an over heat situation.
if not the above,maybe consider a mechanics diagnosis depending on your capabilty.
there are still otherposibilities as well. When it comes to safety items do not get the cheapest, get the best for the kind of driving you do.
I'm just a highschooler, I drive 50 miles a day to get to and from school. My father had gotten Napa rotors and pads. I think we will see if they are torqued correctly and go from there. Thanks!

#9 ·
At this point you have to start somewhere, you have already spent a portion of your maintenance budget on rotors and pads, you may as well start at the cheapest point!
Another option to try is, if you still have the rotors you took off the car to begin with, ask a qualified mechanic if he coulD check them for you. Maybe you will find out they were not the problem to begin with. Pull the new rotors off your car and check them too. But don't drive your car without rotors.
A high-school student!!! Oh to be young again. I was told that would spend more money on cars than anything else in this world. That guy sure was right. Take the bus when you can!!
All of the other things mentioned in this thread are valid, and worth checkinG.
Good luck high schooler!!!

#10 ·
Not on my G6, but my Dodge Journey had the same issue.
I changed the front rotors and pads, same issue, had my mechanic friend take a look, he said "do that back as well".
New rotors and pads in the back fixed the shaking.
Turns our the whole car was shaking when the brakes were applied, but I thought it was something "front end" related.
He mentioned if you could feel it in the steering wheel then most likely it's front end.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.