Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone my name is Frank McGovern and I'm from NJ and I'm a professional auto detailer here in NJ and I need this issue fixed ASAP for my business or at least what's wrong here. Let me start with a few facts here. My mom bought this 2007 Pontiac G6 (V-6) BRAND NEW & I bought it off of her after a major car accident with my old car. She took very very good care of this car but it now has 174,xxx miles and it has little issues now and then. This issue is the car won't start it's self and it only happens once in awhile. I had to battery/ & Battery Test Under Stress and Alternator Checked To & The car has a 6 year Napa Battery with which is only 1 year and 3 months old but anyway the test from Napas machine said all of that is fine. I filmed a small video to show what's going on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to order a part before I go to my auto mechanic @6 so I can get my car back to normal ASAP, I need it for my job it's my busy season. You can answer on this form here or send me a email at [email protected]
Thank You VERY MUCH EVERYONE!

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Hello everyone my name is Frank McGovern and I'm from NJ and I'm a professional auto detailer here in NJ and I need this issue fixed ASAP for my business or at least what's wrong here. Let me start with a few facts here. My mom bought this 2007 Pontiac G6 (V-6) BRAND NEW & I bought it off of her after a major car accident with my old car. She took very very good care of this car but it now has 174,xxx miles and it has little issues now and then. This issue is the car won't start it's self and it only happens once in awhile. I had to battery/ & Battery Test Under Stress and Alternator Checked To & The car has a 6 year Napa Battery with which is only 1 year and 3 months old but anyway the test from Napas machine said all of that is fine. I filmed a small video to show what's going on. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. My goal is to order a part before I go to my auto mechanic @6 so I can get my car back to normal ASAP, I need it for my job it's my busy season. You can answer on this form here or send me a email at [email protected] OR I won't leave this up long but here's my NJ cell phone # (Frank Mc) 1-609-667-9234

Thank You VERY MUCH EVERYONE!
ALSO PLEASE CHECK THE REPLYS ON HERE I'M TRYING TO TRIM THE VIDEO & MAKE IT WORK!:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I don't know if this will help or not, but following is the problem that I had with my '07 G6 GT Convertible, 3.9L.

I kept having issues with the battery dying if I would let it sit for longer than a couple of days without driving it. I had the alternator tested by both AutoZone and O'Reilly's and they said it was fine. I replaced multiple batteries and each would last for a few months and the problem would return. I checked the alternator myself with a voltmeter and it was putting out 13.4 volts. Seemed a little low, but well over 12v, so having grown up with muscle cars it certainly seemed fine. To me, it acted like it had a parasitic drain. I tested for and could not find one.

One day I was looking through the factory service manual and noticed the minimum output for the alternator was listed as 13.6 volts! So I threw a new alternator at the problem and voila! The problem is solved! Apparently, that little bit of undercharge was just enough to keep the battery from fully charging in our temperamental, quirky Pontiacs. Hope this helps.

7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ALSO PLEASE CHECK THE REPLYS ON HERE I'M TRYING TO TRIM THE VIDEO & MAKE IT WORK!:)
💥💥💥💥👉ANSWER TO THE ISSUE:THANKS EVERYONE!
So it turned out to be either that my fuse box relay ground wire is bad or the fuse box its self is just going bad. The alternator was fine and the battery and the starter. Just a FYI my personal automachanic said the Pontiac G6 fuses boxs are known to go bad after some age so I hope this helps someone out there. The car is a great car I only burn a half a quart of oil between 3,000 mile oil changes but other then that the cars still pretty strong and has some pep. I went down to the shore and wanted to see what top speed I could get one quick time & with 175,000 miles & the 3.5 V6 the fastest it would go was between 105-110 then the car stopped it's self.😀

1 - 4 of 4 Posts