Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have used the forum for lots of information for my '06 Pontiac G6 sedan, but now I have a problem that I don't think has been addressed yet.

I recently installed a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X794 with the after market information unit kit back in May. It has worked great until 2 weeks ago. When I come outside to go to work in the morning the stereo has been on in the car. None of the other accessories have come on other than the stereo and the information unit. I took everything apart to examine my remote wires to ensure that they were not touching any hot wires, I also checked the remote wire on my amplifier to ensure it was not touching anything. I called crutchfield and they advised me that it was a problem with my car, I am going to install my stock stereo back into the car and see if it tries to come on also. Has anyone else ran into this issue? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

· Registered
1,420 Posts
i've had this problem twice, once with the stock HU because my remote wire was attached to a constant power fuse rather than an ignition fuse. The second time was because my Alpine HU was in stand by instead of completely off. Did you recently disconnect your battery. When i would disconnet mine to do work, as soon as i reconnected it the HU would go into stand by and i would have to turn it off to get it to keep from doing that.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you had the same problem as me, My HU is wired using a OEM harness adapter and has a separate remote and constant, I am beginning to think that maybe the Information control unit has gone bad and will randomly turn on. I can't think of what may be giving power to the remote that triggers it to come on, but since the HU and the info unit have a shared remote and power then they come on at the same time.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay so...

I called metra audio's tech support, he advised that since I installed the car stereo w/o disconnecting the battery, the antitheft system thinks that the car stereo has been stolen and keeps trying to send a signal to the factory radio to verify it is installed, I am going to reinstall the factory radio verify that the antitheft system is satisfied and then I have to disconnect the battery, and reinstall my after market deck, cross your fingers.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:::Update:::

I ordered a replacement Metra Dashkit, Crutchfield sent it to me I installed it and.....it didn't fix the problem.

One thing that I do notice is that when the stock stereo is connected and I reconnect the negative battery cable, the lights on the stereo come on for about 30 seconds. I believe that the BCM is trying to verify that the stock stereo is installed or doing some sort of diagnostic test. I think that this signal being sent to the HU is what is giving the Switched 12V wire power until I cycle the key which turns off the unit, until later when it randomly comes back on.

I hate to do this but I rewired the switched 12V wire up to my ignition wire so that it is sep from the dash kit, the dash kit does not get power up when the stereo does. Its not the "right" way to fix it but I can't find anyone else who has ever had this problem and thus I do not know how to fix it. The local installers around town don't have a clue either. The stereo is "fixed" but if anyone ever encounters this problem and finds the solution to the 12v switched wire getting power please let me know.

· Registered
16 Posts
I know this is a dead thread but I too have this problem and the power to the radio comes on at random times. The sound does not come on until I open the door to the car to cycle the switch so that it powers off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.