Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Todayi happen to check my oil and the stick had nothing on it. I have no visible leaking and its an O7 with 55k miles. does anybody have any ideas. i wont sleep til i figure something out.

P.s....yes i put oil in the last time i changed it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
when i first got my 2006 G6 i noticed it was doing this as well i did a oil change and used Maxlife Full Syn oil and still was burring a quart to a quart and a half, i then switched to Syn Power Full Syn and have not burned a drop of oil in between changes...i would try that seems my car also run better with this oil as well...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Your car is going to use a certain amount of oil during "normal operations". That oil is used to lube the cylinder walls (as well as everything else) and as the piston moves up and down, small amounts of oil may get past the ring and burned off. Not enough to cause smoke out of the exhaust, but over the course of 3000 miles, you may see half a quart loss. There can also be oil "blow by" in the PCV system, I had an oil catch can on my GTO and it caught a fair bit of oil from the vacuum. Hell, GM said that an entire quart loss of oil was "normal" on my GTO every 3000 miles.... So if you're only a half quart low at an oil change, I wouldn't worry. If its a quart of more, you might have a bad piston ring or a leak that isn't enough to make the drip to the ground.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i do recall going from 5w-30 syn blend to 5w-20 full syn my last oil change. do u think that may have something to do with it??

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Todayi happen to check my oil and the stick had nothing on it. I have no visible leaking and its an O7 with 55k miles. does anybody have any ideas. i wont sleep til i figure something out.

P.s....yes i put oil in the last time i changed it!
Which engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its got a 3.5 v6. my manual says it only takes 4 quarts which is weird to me, but can anyone verify that

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
4 quarts is right.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
IIRC, the 3.5L has somewhat of a history of burning oil. But you would see blue smoke from the exhaust if it was.
I hate to say that I disagree. I've been following the G6OC and G6P forums for a few years and this is one of the few times I've seen someone report this type of problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts