Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:

Let me elaborate; it seems all my issues started a few months ago when I took it in for the clunking and hard shifting. First they (dealer) said I didnt have a problem but my computer needed to be updated. They updated, and I still ended up taking back again and guess what they found the clunking issue and fixed it. A( Was a emission thing) Shortly after my car wouldnt start would click but no start. We replaced the starter (200.00) and still wont start. Check the battery and yep that fixed it. Now for the past two weeks it starts if its in the mood!! Sometimes, starts first try other times you have to turn the key multiple times. Everything lights up all electronics seem to work as they should when the key is turned. My husband checked for loose wires and has disconnected the battery for a few. Still it wont start at first turn of the key. Was thinking possibly a new ignition switch is in order. Hate doing this trial and error stuff but hate taking to the dealer even more!! Help!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
...my car wouldn't start would click but no start. We replaced the starter (200.00) and still wont start. Check the battery and yep that fixed it. Now for the past two weeks it starts if its in the mood!! Sometimes, starts first try other times you have to turn the key multiple times. Everything lights up all electronics seem to work as they should when the key is turned. My husband checked for loose wires and has disconnected the battery for a few. Still it wont start at first turn of the key. Was thinking possibly a new ignition switch is in order. Hate doing this trial and error stuff but hate taking to the dealer even more!! Help!!
Please give your model year, engine size & mileage when asking for assistance. It usually matters.

So you have a new starter & new battery.

What is happening now when it won't start? Can you hear regular clicking from the starter motor? Does the engine crank? Or do you hear nothing?

We'd be happy to try to help but need quite a bit more info. There are several possibilities. Please read this & come back with more details of what's happening:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/us1296.htm

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
alternator could also be bad as well.

Edit: i know our cars are known for the "hesitant" start. when you roll it over and it spits and sputters.. if this is what its doing ive been told its not any of the mechanics to start the car, its that the gas isnt cut off right away after you've shut the car down causing it to spit and sputter the next roll over because there is already gas there?? something like that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry!! Wasnt thinking....2006 g6 2.7 I believe (its a 4 cylinder)...

It doesnt sputter, click or anything like that. When you turn the key it does nothing. The radio,dash and lights will come on.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Sorry!! Wasnt thinking....2006 g6 2.7 I believe (its a 4 cylinder)...

It doesn't sputter, click or anything like that. When you turn the key it does nothing. The radio,dash and lights will come on.
When it won't crank, try moving the gear shifter from Park to Drive & back to Park a time or two. You could have an intermittent or maladjusted transaxle range switch. Might also be the ignition switch or a wiring problem. Or an intermittent starter relay. Or corrosion at the battery connections. Or a few other things.

I can't recommend that you keep throwing parts at it. If you have a trusted mechanic take it to him for a proper diagnosis. Paying a diagnostic fee will almost always be the least costly option. Then, depending on what's wrong you may be able to DIY the repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts