Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 G6 with stock stereo (not Monsoon) and no On-star. I'm trying to install an aftermarket stereo using the Metra 99-3303 kit. I seem to have it hooked up properly (stereo works fine), but the car won't start. Lights, remote door locks, wipers, etc work fine, but the engine doesn't seem to even turn.

If I pop out the aftermarket kit and put the factory back in, it works fine. As soon as I unhook the factory stereo, I can't make the car turn on again, even without the Metra kit hooked up. I was under the impression that the G6 should work even without the DIC hooked up.

Crutchfield tech support was stumped too. Their best guess is that either there is some sort of security lockout (I don't have an alarm system, though) or that the Metra was bad, although, like I said, I thought the car should work with no stereo or DIC at all. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you much.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Yeah thats really weird i had my stereo and DIC out for over a week until a couple days ago and had zero issues. Only thing i can think of is you have some wires hooked up wrong and its causing some sort of short or grounding something. But i still dont know what it could be. The ignition on wire and Always on 12v wires did you check those?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah thats really weird i had my stereo and DIC out for over a week until a couple days ago and had zero issues. Only thing i can think of is you have some wires hooked up wrong and its causing some sort of short or grounding something. But i still dont know what it could be. The ignition on wire and Always on 12v wires did you check those?
Even if I had wires on my harness wired wrong, it wouldn't make sense why the car won't start without the harness even connected. But I did check anyway, and I have confirmed that all my wires are connected properly and tested continuity with a multimeter. Could there be some sort of security check in the DIC that wouldn't allow the car to start without it?

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I have an aftermarket headunit with no DIC. I never ran into a problem like this. Maybe try disconnecting your battery?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have an aftermarket headunit with no DIC. I never ran into a problem like this. Maybe try disconnecting your battery?
I've had the battery disconnected for a half hour with no luck. I also tried another thing I read about leaving the car in the ignition on position for 10 minutes, turning it off for five seconds and repeating. No luck.

Apparently I do have an alarm system though. I found out when I drained the battery running tests and had to jump it. As soon as I connected the fourth cable, the alarm started going off. I had no idea I had one. Maybe that relates?

·
;)
386 Posts
if your alarm was set & you remove the radio there could be a security lockout as a precaution. without a keypad try locking the doors from the outside, if its a stock alarm then there would be an icon that flashes on the gauge cluster. then unlock from the outside to disarm & maybe the radio can be removed & the car will start. there shouldnt be any reason that radio prevents the car from starting. maybe a security setting in the DIC?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
if your alarm was set & you remove the radio there could be a security lockout as a precaution. without a keypad try locking the doors from the outside, if its a stock alarm then there would be an icon that flashes on the gauge cluster. then unlock from the outside to disarm & maybe the radio can be removed & the car will start. there shouldnt be any reason that radio prevents the car from starting. maybe a security setting in the DIC?
Tried this, but it didn't seem to make a difference. There sure seems to be some sort of security issue though. We decided to remove the factory stereo while the car was running. As soon as we did, the security light turned on the dash. However, I can now start it without anything installed. I can install the aftermarket and it works, but the Metra doesn't turn on. Also, the security light is turned on solid whenever the car is running now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how does the afteramrket work if the Metra doesnt turn on? isnt the metra the aftermarket unit!
The aftermarket unit is a JVC Head Unit. The Metra is the DIC. They are both aftermarket, so it was a poor choice of words on my part.

I've now visited Car Toys and a Pontiac dealer. Neither of them know what's going on. I have an appointment to actually have the dealer look at my car, but that's going to cost a lot, so I'd like to figure this out beforehand.

At this point, I'm assuming this is a defect in my G6, and that the JVC head unit and Metra DIC have nothing to do with it, and the wiring harness plays no role either. Since the car should run without the factory stereo installed, and it doesn't, it seems like the problem is with the car security system and therefore a Pontiac issue. I mean, as of right now, if someone steals my factory unit, I can no longer drive my car. Does that sound right? Pontiac was initially trying to blame JVC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pontiac and Aspen Sound (local car audio) are telling me it's the Metra kit. They're saying that the car needs to have some sort of data line passthrough to work. Can I at least get a show of hands of G6 owners who can drive their car around with nothing connected to the cable, as seen below, especially those who drive a 2006? If you can, that would prove it's not the Metra kit causing it.

And this is what I have on my dash when I try to start the car:

Thanks all, this has been very frustrating.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
If you are curious, my car is a 2006 as well. I'll check my connections to see how mine is setup. The data line wire is the dark green one for my car.

See if you can get ahold of a TechII and mess with the settings. I'm sure there is a theft mode in the computer which probably relates to the radio.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I finally figured it out. I don't know if the Metra kit is missing wires or what, but I found out that the car would start if I shorted the two data lines on the car portion of the harness. I rigged the Metra harness to short those two lines when I connect it, and everything, including the DIC, work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Funny cause i am right here waiting for a ride to work at 6am cause my 2007 G6 wouldnt start after i installed aaftermkt JVC headunit and DIC 6 mths ago and its has been like this the last 6 mths, just waiting for someone to jump the car. Mine would start occassionally. I thought it was a defective batt and replaced but it wont start still so auto shop guy replaced it with another new batt. called crutchfield and they they told me to turned it off on and off, disconnect the batt etc etc. it would start then dies again after 2 days esp if i dont drive the car. Cructhfield replaced the DIC thinking it was defective. Took to the auto shop, had a GM expert, he did his lil trick, it worked then it died again in 2 mths. Had the guy that installed the stereo and he checked that all are wired corrected, nothing is drawing the batt etc etc. I am tired! So today Im reinstalling my factory stereo back. Skunkard, how long have u had ur HU installed and how did it go after u shortened the data lines? Please let me know how it went! Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Funny cause i am right here waiting for a ride to work at 6am cause my 2007 G6 wouldnt start after i installed aaftermkt JVC headunit and DIC 6 mths ago and its has been like this the last 6 mths, just waiting for someone to jump the car. Mine would start occassionally. I thought it was a defective batt and replaced but it wont start still so auto shop guy replaced it with another new batt. called crutchfield and they they told me to turned it off on and off, disconnect the batt etc etc. it would start then dies again after 2 days esp if i dont drive the car. Cructhfield replaced the DIC thinking it was defective. Took to the auto shop, had a GM expert, he did his lil trick, it worked then it died again in 2 mths. Had the guy that installed the stereo and he checked that all are wired corrected, nothing is drawing the batt etc etc. I am tired! So today Im reinstalling my factory stereo back. Skunkard, how long have u had ur HU installed and how did it go after u shortened the data lines? Please let me know how it went! Thank you!
Mine would never run without the DIC in. It wasn't an issue where it died after time. On the 99-3303, I had to put a pin on B10 to the blue harness plug and run a wire from it to B9. It has run about two weeks now. But I never experienced anything like you have. Mine seemed to be a security lockout. Have you put a voltmeter on your battery to see what it's running at before you jump it? I'd say if you put your factory stereo back in and stop having problems, it's clearly a problem there and not in the battery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts