Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other cars did G6 owners look at when making their purchase and what made you decide on the car?
I considered:
G6 GT/base
Acura RSX
2004 Pontiac GTO
Mustang V6
Mazda 3S
Scion tC
Grand Am GT
Grand Prix GT

I decided on the G6 because it had better performance than the 4 cylinder cars, was much better equipped than the mustang, more refined than the Grand Prix/Am. I got the GT instead of the base because I wanted the manumatic tranny, bigger wheels, tighter suspension, and a spoiler. On top of that I got a hell of a lease deal!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
we looked at
Pontiac grand prix
pontiac vibe
chevrolet epica
chevrolet equinox
nissan altima
saturn l300
mazda 6
we decided on the G6 v6 the emount of room in the car and the all around performance.and what we were both comfterable driving my wife had me do most of the research on the cars and then we looked at them together again we looked and test drove cars for about 6 months before we decided.The car we had before was a 1998 pontiac Grand am se
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
My wife and me were considering:
Pontiac G6
Nissan Altima
Honda Accord
We decided on the G6 because it looked better, performed the same, and the features are way above the rest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
No comparison.

Unfortunately, I didn't compare my G6 with anything else. It was the right sized car, with the right price (*No down payment and low financing along with $2500 rebates and options). This made it a no-brainer for me given my current financial situation. Under $300/month and I am driving a 2005 model car that uses regular gas frugally, has a 200 hp V-6 and nice features.

Not too shabby.

Cars if I had the money I would like to have compared it with the following cars:

Domestic:
Pontiac Grand Prix (g6 big brother)
Chevy Impala
Dodge Intrepid
2004 Chrysler 300 M

Import
Honda Accord V-6
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima V-6
Toyota Camry V-6
Mazda 6
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
152 Posts
Cars I considered:

Pontiac G6 (with panoramic roof)
Mazda 3
Mazda 6
Chevy Malibu
Saab 92x
Saab 9-3

I decided on the G6 because of the features.. especially the panoramic roof.. also it's a really good looking car and a big step up from my 02 Focus ZX5.. and not to mention it handles and accelerates nicely.. the closest runner-up was the Saab 9-3.. if u care :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not surprised you felt like the 9-3 was a close choice, the G6/Malibu/9-3 all share the same chassis and many other components. I'm glad people are responding to this thread, it is interesting to see what others thought of the competition!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
210 Posts
Lone Star G6 said:
Unfortunately, I didn't compare my G6 with anything else. It was the right sized car, with the right price (*No down payment and low financing along with $2500 rebates and options). This made it a no-brainer for me given my current financial situation. Under $300/month and I am driving a 2005 model car that uses regular gas frugally, has a 200 hp V-6 and nice features.

Not too shabby.

Cars if I had the money I would like to have compared it with the following cars:

Domestic:
Pontiac Grand Prix (g6 big brother)
Chevy Impala
Dodge Intrepid
2004 Chrysler 300 M

Import
Honda Accord V-6
Nissan Maxima
Nissan Altima V-6
Toyota Camry V-6
Mazda 6
I am thinking along the same lines as you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Yeah.. close to the same...except I would never consider an import... Im anti Dodge (for good reason I assure you ;) ) and the Impalas rear end.. wait..both the G6 and impala have screwy lookin rears... so nevermind that. LOL .I agree with you aside from those things. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Cars I considered...
G6 Base (V6)
Nissan Altima 2.5S (I4)
Honda Accord LX (I4)
Toyota Camry LE (I4)

Reason for G6...
Camry - everyone and their grandmother has one
Accord - costs a little more cash than the others but probably worth that in resale
Altima - fit and finish not like others
G6 - Hello Domestic beauty! My wife loves Pontiacs. GM family discount. Incentives. V6 power/torque for about the same price as the others. Est: 22/32 mpg(not a bad rating for a V6).....

It was no contest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
I was coming off an early lease turn in, on a 02 Grand Prix. I QUICKLY looked at the Ion Redline and Cobalt SS, but they were to small for my taste. A GTO and a Saab 9-3, but they were a little more than I was wanting to spend. I was really hoping the Solstice would be out, but I'd still be waiting.
I'm happy with my choice. The right car came at the right time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
If the GTO had dropped to low 20s when I bought this I know what I would have been driving off the lot. :( They were still going for 30 back then :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Cars I was considering, in prefered order:

Nissan Altima 2.5
Pontiac Vibe

I got the G6 because it had loads of the standard features that would have jacked up the Altima to close to $27k. The factory remote starter was the final selling point for the G6. I only wish I would have waited another week, when they started the employee discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
532 Posts
Oh damn..that had to hurt.. my g6 sticker was 23K (in the end cost was 26K)..employee thing would have been nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
314 Posts
Cars I AM Considering:

-G6 GTP Sedan
-G6 GTP Coupe
-Mazda3
-Mazda6
-Chevy Cobalt SS/SC
-Ford Fusion

Pontiac's doing well, but they're going to have to convince me a little more with the GTP over the Mazda 6.

I hear the Mazda6 is just a great car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
bigbengt67 said:
What other cars did G6 owners look at when making their purchase and what made you decide on the car?
I considered:
G6 GT/base
Acura RSX
2004 Pontiac GTO
Mustang V6
Mazda 3S
Scion tC
Grand Am GT
Grand Prix GT

I decided on the G6 because it had better performance than the 4 cylinder cars, was much better equipped than the mustang, more refined than the Grand Prix/Am. I got the GT instead of the base because I wanted the manumatic tranny, bigger wheels, tighter suspension, and a spoiler. On top of that I got a hell of a lease deal!
I would have loved to get a GTO but they don't sell them in Canada :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
488 Posts
Cars I was considering:

Pontiac GTO (insurance would be too much)

Mazda RX-8 (heard too many bad stories about the rotary engine)

2005 Mustang GT (couldn't find any exactly like I wanted, and didn't feel like waiting until 2006 to buy. Plus, it's FORD! blah)

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
Pontiac's doing well, but they're going to have to convince me a little more with the GTP over the Mazda 6.

I hear the Mazda6 is just a great car.
Well for 1, Pontiac will give you a better deal with all the rebates/incentives.
2, I had a friend who worked for a Mazda dealer and he had nothing but bad things to tell me about the 6.

Which brings me to the cars I was considering before I got the G6:

Mazda6s - love the looks of it. Test drove the manu-matic, was very nice to drive, great interior, no rebates and $27K sticker.

Cobalt SS - too "boy racer" for me.

Stratus R/T - could not find a 5spd manual anywhere.

I obviously got the G6 and it had to be a 6spd so I got the GTP and a Sedan cuz I don't really like the looks of the Coupe rear.

I went from a 2003 Accord EX V6 Coupe AT...quite a difference, however I am impressed with the quality from Pontiac this time around with the G6.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
I spent more time on the web building cars-maza-chevy etc. I used that compare vehicles on the web abd compared almost every car. I did not want a import -everyone has one. The g6 looks good-has great power -quick around town and hiway-love the seats-you feel like your low -good room for 5 adults-got the gt in ivory white--but--looking for the gtp for the duals--lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Subtle_Cynicism said:
I hear the Mazda6 is just a great car.
I'd go for the Mazda, better resale value. I made a rather quick purchase with the G6 because I needed to dump my '01 Grand Cherokee due to the bad gas milage. If I had to do it over again, I would go with a pre-owned '03-'04 Altima 3.5 or Acura 3.2tl. I'll keep the G6 until the warranty runs out, then dump it. Actually, I'm finding the Caddy CTS very appealing lately.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top