Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I posted elsewhere but I am so pleased that I have to tell everyone.
I have added cat back systems to other vehicles but what happened today almost leaves me speechless!
Forget the sound, which is wonderfully growly without being obnoxious, it's the added performance that grabs you!
I had the local Midas shop remove the entire stock exhaust system off my 2006 GTP in one piece so that I can simply reinstall it should I trade the car; saves cutting.
Then the muffler man replaced everything from the first flange after the cats back with 2 1/2 inch pipe, a round muffler in place of the resonator, a y-split just aft of the rear axle and then two mufflers with stainless steel tips rounding off the package.
Performance gains are really noticeable. At 2000 rpm's in low, a sudden shove on the gas pedal gives tremendous spin off both front wheels and instant acceleration that you can feel in your butt and back. 6000 rpm comes up quite quickly.
Even low rpms in fourth and a steady press of the gas provides instant response.
I am very pleased with the results though I had reservations when I started.
GTP driver

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
GTPdriver said:
I know I posted elsewhere but I am so pleased that I have to tell everyone.
I have added cat back systems to other vehicles but what happened today almost leaves me speechless!
Forget the sound, which is wonderfully growly without being obnoxious, it's the added performance that grabs you!
I had the local Midas shop remove the entire stock exhaust system off my 2006 GTP in one piece so that I can simply reinstall it should I trade the car; saves cutting.
Then the muffler man replaced everything from the first flange after the cats back with 2 1/2 inch pipe, a round muffler in place of the resonator, a y-split just aft of the rear axle and then two mufflers with stainless steel tips rounding off the package.
Performance gains are really noticeable. At 2000 rpm's in low, a sudden shove on the gas pedal gives tremendous spin off both front wheels and instant acceleration that you can feel in your butt and back. 6000 rpm comes up quite quickly.
Even low rpms in fourth and a steady press of the gas provides instant response.
I am very pleased with the results though I had reservations when I started.
GTP driver
I have a similar setup that is a custom job, with MagnaFlow mufflers.

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
JonCo said:
I'll be doing one of these soon... Im after a bodykit with rims first. Then this. Looks very nice.
Thanks, I'm very happy with it. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Only problem im hearing(from one shop). Is that the 06 Gts have a different underbody design/layout then the 05 GTs. Cause I was after dual exhaust when I first got the care but they said it "sould" be done. But it wouldn't be a good idea to. It was better to stick with a single exhaust outlet. Um, yeah. That was a Midas technition. He said they would do it, machine bent(no thanks), but it wasn't advised.

Any input?

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
JonCo said:
Only problem im hearing(from one shop). Is that the 06 Gts have a different underbody design/layout then the 05 GTs. Cause I was after dual exhaust when I first got the care but they said it "sould" be done. But it wouldn't be a good idea to. It was better to stick with a single exhaust outlet. Um, yeah. That was a Midas technition. He said they would do it, machine bent(no thanks), but it wasn't advised.

Any input?
You can do the dual rear setup without a problem. You have to purchase the GTP rear valance(about $70) for the dual openings. Also, I would find a shop that specializes in exhaust systems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
JonCo im Selling a 06 G6 GT rear lower valance fascia for $50. shipping cost i wil figure out when u tell me where the item needs to go. will fit 05-06 G6...
In good condition..nothing wrong wiht it at all

Do not need it..bought the dual exhaust gtp rear lower valance

·
Registered
23 Posts
If I buy a valance. It'll be the GTP one for dual outlets. But im putting on a body kit i believe so I wont need my valance nor a GTP one either.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Midas job

No I don't mind sharing the cost of the Midas cat back system. Was about $400.00 Cdn for parts and another $300.00 Cdn. for labour. The owner is a drag racer and the kid who did the work is a whiz!
G. Stephen Day

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cat backs aprt 3

In response to the inquiry, I took the car into Midas at 1:30 p.m. and got it back at 5:15 p.m. I am very, very pleased with both the sound and the increase in performance. Looks good too.
GTP driver

·
Registered
78 Posts
Does anybody have any ideas on how to run duals on the G6 or the GT, the lower part only has one hole for the tip. Any ideas without having to replace the lower part of the bumper?? Thanks

·
Designed For Action
509 Posts
sleepless said:
Does anybody have any ideas on how to run duals on the G6 or the GT, the lower part only has one hole for the tip. Any ideas without having to replace the lower part of the bumper?? Thanks
You can cut an opening on the other side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
newb here....

i wanted to put a dual exhaust on my G6 V6. the "valance" is the plastic piece below the rear bumper? that is what i would have to replace? i would not want to cut the existing piece... it would look too hack.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts