Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have an 06 G6 with 46K miles on it. I purchased it in December. It has been running well until several days ago. I noticed it seemed to be loud when I hit the gas and accelerate. A friend heard it and told me I probably have a leak in my exhaust or may have a bad catalytic converter. So I did some research on the G6 with catalytic converter problems, and it seems most people who have problems with it, experience loss of power. I do not experience (or have not yet) any loss of power or had the car stall, or even sound like it was going to stall. It is just loud- that’s all. Nor have I had any check engine lights or any other error codes on the display. The best way to describe it is when I accelerate from a stop to a start, it sounds like a very loud motorcycle reving the engine. I look at my RPM’s when I do that and it appears to be normal, it doesn’t skyrocket or anything. The only time it is noticeably loud is when the car is parked (but running- idling) or if I go from stop to start, or if I am driving and I accelerate a lot (for example 30 MPH to 60 MPH would make a loud sound during the acceleration). But for example if I am driving at a constant speed of around 50 MPH the sound is not that loud, nor is it that loud if I make a very slight acceleration, for example 50 MPH to 60 MPH.

Called my local dealership up and they told me they can look at it and if they determine its a catalytic converter problem they will warranty it but if it is a rusted pipe or rusted exhaust then they will take it off the lift and charge me $50 in diagnostics and give it back to me unrepaired.

So I would hate to spend $50 just for them to tell me I have a problem with it so was hoping to do some troubleshooting myself before I take it in to be looked at. I listened under the car (with it running) and the sound is definitely coming from the front end. Sounds like just before the catalytic converter, or in that general area. The next thing I noticed is it looks like my catalytic converter is rusted out. The other pipes don’t look to bad (just from looking under the car, I don’t have any jacks with me to lift it right now where I can lift it and crawl under it to check it out further). I took a few photos and was wondering if it is likely it is the catalytic converter that is bad? Also would the warranty cover rust? (I would assume it would, but figured I would check. After all I live in New England and the car has no history of flood so I don’t see why rust would not be covered).

I put my hand over the exhaust pipe in the back (with the car running) and I could feel warm air shooting out but I did not smell any fumes on my hand after about 5 seconds of holding my hand in front of the pipe. So would they likely cover this under the catalytic converter warranty?

DSC03119.jpg

DSC03120.jpg

DSC03122.jpg

PS one more piece of info- the car had a clean carfax record in December (when I purchased it) but was involved in a front end driver side collision (I was not at fault since I tried to swerve out of the way) and I ended up clipping the side of my car. The insurance spent nearly $7K to fix that one. That accident was back in February. I got my car back right around mid march. The car has drove fine until now (didn’t drive funny when I got it back or anything). See photo below for damages.

DSC02679.jpg

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Take it anywhere they do muffler/exhaust work & have them inspect it. Shouldn't cost anything. Have them show you where the problem lies & get an estimate. The cat warranty is (at a minimum) 8yr/80000 miles.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know, I will do that tomorrow. I figured all shops would charge just to look at it. Would the cat. still be covered under warranty if it is all rusty? Or would they say warranty is void due to excess rust?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts