Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a battery crap out on me, changed the battery, and I no get "CD CHANGER ERROR" on the DIC. The radio, and display both work fine, but all of my CDs are stuck in there and won't eject from the changer.

I tried pulling the fuse only to see the "LOCKED" message come up briefly and go back to "CD CHANGER ERROR" Supposedly it can also be fixed by holding eject while powering it off. That didn't work. So it took it to a car audio shop and they want $350 to fix the unit.

At this price I have to know if there is a better way. I'm open to the idea of an single disc/aftermarket unit if I can still get my DIC info and use my steering wheel buttons somehow.
As long as the next unit will sound just as good or better than the current stock unit.

any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Going aftermarket is most likely going to cost you more than having your unit fixed. If you want to go aftermarket you're going to need:

Metra 99-3303 - ~$150-$280
Aftermarket HU of your choice ~$80-$1500
PAC Steering wheel interface - ~$80

So in the end you have to make a choice. Personally if you have any plans on upgrading the stereo in your car, the aftermarket route is the way to go. But if you dont. You may just want to have the unit fixed.

Have you priced out a new unit? may be cheaper just to buy a new one?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Based on what you've described I find it difficult to believe the head unit decided to crap out the moment you changed the battery. Maybe a dealer consultation might be a good idea as I wonder if there isn't just a setting error that can be corrected without replacing the head unit.

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Sorry to say it but this is just about exactly what happened to mine minus the dealership part.

I did a whole bunch of homework and found that this is a fairly common problem for the six disk changers. They get jammed up and break.

I went aftermarket as Dmanj posted above. However the Metra kit is half off if you buy a stereo over $200 at Crutchfield.com They have everything you'll need to do the job. My total price was $387.97.

I'm pretty happy with everything I got. I did the whole installation myself and it wasn't all that hard, just be darn sure to read all the directions carefully when doing the setup for the steering wheel controls. Figuring that part out was tricky.

My thinking was that if I had the changer fixed/replaced it would probably just break again. I went with the Pioneer DEH 5200hd. It has a single disk, which is simple and won't break (I hope) and built in HD radio, and a front USB and stereo plug input. It is also backlit in red with curvy chrome accents that fit in well with the G6 interior Motif.

hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Going aftermarket is most likely going to cost you more than having your unit fixed. If you want to go aftermarket you're going to need:

Metra 99-3303 - ~$150-$280
Aftermarket HU of your choice ~$80-$1500
PAC Steering wheel interface - ~$80

So in the end you have to make a choice. Personally if you have any plans on upgrading the stereo in your car, the aftermarket route is the way to go. But if you dont. You may just want to have the unit fixed.

Have you priced out a new unit? may be cheaper just to buy a new one?
Yes, but while it might cost me more today. But it will be cheaper in the future becuase I can always change out to another aftermarket HU if something ever happens. Besides, car disc changers aren't generally known for their reliability.

And the metra kit can bad had on ebay for a little cheaper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Metra-99-3303-Chevy-Malibu-Cobalt-Pontiac-G6-04-08-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230672019bQQitemZ150431990171QQptZCarQ5fAudioQ5fVideo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought an 06 GT Convertible last week and I had this same problem with the changer. I'm not terribly concerned about it, because I really need to replace the unit for iPod connectivity.

So, if I buy an 08 unit with the AUX input, I can replace my current one? I want to make sure before I buy the other stereo.

Has anyone else done this? If it works, I know I'll need to have a dealer program it and so forth. What was the total cost for install and programming so I have an idea?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For no apparent reason my 6 CD Changer wouldn't eject the CD's either. I could see the CD stuck in the opening so I pressed eject button and took a small plastic knife and GENTLY lifted the CD up where it seemed to be stuck - it popped right out. I continued with the remaining CD's until they were all out. I now just listen to my XM radio.

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
I just bought an 06 GT Convertible last week and I had this same problem with the changer. I'm not terribly concerned about it, because I really need to replace the unit for iPod connectivity.

So, if I buy an 08 unit with the AUX input, I can replace my current one? I want to make sure before I buy the other stereo.

Has anyone else done this? If it works, I know I'll need to have a dealer program it and so forth. What was the total cost for install and programming so I have an idea?

Thanks.
im not sure about the 06-08 stereo question i know some of the years are inter changeable but the cost is varied between dealers... depends on if they want to give you a deal or rape your pocket book.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had a battery crap out on me, changed the battery, and I no get "CD CHANGER ERROR" on the DIC. The radio, and display both work fine, but all of my CDs are stuck in there and won't eject from the changer.

I tried pulling the fuse only to see the "LOCKED" message come up briefly and go back to "CD CHANGER ERROR" Supposedly it can also be fixed by holding eject while powering it off. That didn't work. So it took it to a car audio shop and they want $350 to fix the unit.

At this price I have to know if there is a better way. I'm open to the idea of an single disc/aftermarket unit if I can still get my DIC info and use my steering wheel buttons somehow.
As long as the next unit will sound just as good or better than the current stock unit.

any help is appreciated.
Did you ever get yours fixed? Mine did the same thing just today. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try calling United Radio at 800-448-0944. They do repairs for dealers, so you can save money by cutting out the middleman.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts