Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone might have answered this but I can't find it. I have the CD Error issue. I've reset it every way possible and removed the CD's from the unit and reinstalled it, nothing worked. My question is if I get another stock radio, instead of swapping the whole unit can I just swap the CD Changer to avoid reprogramming. Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
It might be possible, but it would be a lot of work. Also, I know that GM sometimes used different internal parts in radios, even though they physically look the same.

What error are you getting?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't mind doing it I already took the CD Changer apart to get the Cd's out hoping one double loaded. It has CD Error blinking on the screen is all I know, which is more annoying than anything. I just bought the car an would like to fix it the simplest and cheapest way possible.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I've never opened up a g6 radio.
Is the CD player portion completely separate from the rest of the stereo? If it seems replaceable then there's no harm in trying.
And if it doesn't work you can always just put it back in the new radio and go for the reprogramming.

Have you considered after market radios? I know cost is a factor but you can get a stereo pretty cheap these days.
Pretty bs they require programming, I mean who would steal them anyways since they have the dic...

You wouldn't happen to have pics of the inside of the stereo would you? I'm curious as to how separate the CD player portion may be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's totally separate, besides the unnecessary amount of screws, in my opinion its very simple. There is a small red & black plug and a 4 wire ribbon plug that connects the CD Changer to the unit (I didn't take any pics). I will try it because I'm surprised I can't find anyone who's done it when it seems to be such a easy and cheap fix, I'm going to VA for the holidays to get the radio (that I know works) and I will post pics and the outcome. I would go aftermarket if I were keeping the car (I never keep the stock stuff) but I bought the 2006 G6 GTP 130,000 miles, no machanical issue at all, interior is almost flawless, and all it needs is the hood/front bumper painted, a few scratchs repaired, and a good sanding & buff which I can do all that at home myself. (Paid $2,500 for the car, clean title. Which is a 1/3 of KBB). So I just want to get everything working, make some money on it and let the new owner make the decision to go aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Hmmm, I don't see why it wouldn't work in that case.
And I follow you, no sense in investing money in aftermarket parts that you won't make back.
Pics aren't a big deal but let us know how it works out! I'm curious if this could be a cheaper CD changer fix option

1 - 8 of 8 Posts