Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found the location of the oil pressure sensor and it is definitely cracked or something because the entire thing is drenched in oil. My question is do i need to drain the oil out of the engine before i attempt replacing it? and then obviously carry on with the regular oil change? or does it not matter? Also, does anybody have any tips or advice for going about this? any help would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey so I thought I would bite the bullet here and let you know what your looking at. I just did this repair on my 2007 G6 GT 3.5 and I actually replaced my oil pump while doing it. I actually ended up removing the Oil Filter mount that the sensor itself screws into because I couldn't get the proper deep well socket over the sensor with everything as tight around that area as it was. Either way you will need to remove the flimsy metal heat shield that is covering the sensor itself.

I followed the following -

1. Drain Oil & reinstall plug and leave empty
2. Removed oil filter and left to drip until empty.
3. I then removed the flimsy little heat shield metal bracket ( you will love trying to remove this I ended up just bending it and then re bending it when I re installed it *you will see what I mean when you get to it*)
4. Cuss and realize that your sockets and every tool you own doesn't fit properly between the tight clearance of the sensor and the oil filter adapter/mount.
5. You realize its going to be easier to just pull the oil filter adapter/mount off and redo the sensor that way.
6. remove oil filter housing/mount and r/r sensor with new sensor.

You might be able to get your sensor off but I wasn't able to with my gorilla hands and the tools I had or could find at every hardware store. I think the sensor was a 23mm. Although make sure its your sensor leaking and its not your oil filter adapter/mount gasket that goes inbetween the oil filter adapter mount and the engine block.

Sorry about the wall of text let me know if you have any questions as I went all the way to the point of replacing my oil pump which included unbolting transmission crank case bolts and separating from engine block half of an inch, just to get the pan out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize that this is an old post, but just maybe this would help someone else that is trying to replace the oil sender... I have a 2006 G6 with the 3.9 liter engine, there is very little room to get a wrench or socket in there to remove the sender. I bought the ARES 70324-27mm socket off of Amazon, it only took me about 5 minutes to replace the sender! The socket fit in the area fine, it is still a little difficult to manipulate the socket onto the sender but not too bad. You can use either a 3/8" ratchet (not on this car), or a 3/4" open end wrench to remove the sender. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts