Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Allright so while thinking that my car was on the way to the repo I let anything mechanical with the car hit the fan. So my front brakes = spent. I drove them to the point that there was a loud clink noise, and the front brakes no longer worked. Amazingly enough I got home alive.

Fast forward to the present, my car isn't going the way of the repo, so I need to get my brakes replaced ASAP. I'm confident in changing the pads + rotors but only one place I am inexperienced.

Whenever the front brakes went out, the brake fluid leaked out, and is now very low. Do I need to replace any part that has to do with the brake fluid? Do I need to bleed the brake lines? Or just replace the pads + rotors, then top off the fluid?

Thanks in advance, the help is always awesome.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
I say change the usual suspects and then reevaluate, you may find something broken in the process.
Maybe someone else here has been through this and would know better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I say change the usual suspects and then reevaluate, you may find something broken in the process.
Maybe someone else here has been through this and would know better.
Yup that would be and probably will be the way to take. I just don't want to start replacing items, then realise I need to replace something else, with a limited budget...

Thanks for the reply!!

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
how was it leaking?

Its a sealed system. If you open it (either voluntarily or not) you need to bleed it.

I would replace all rotors & pads and bleed old fluid and put new in.
What happened to cause it to leak fluid? That also needs to be addressed.

What color is the fluid? Brake fluid should be clear. If it has taken on a color it has probably absorbed water. Water and any air in the line is compressible. Thats not good.
For the hydraulics to work correctly it needs to be free of water or air.

I wish you luck.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
how was it leaking?

Its a sealed system. If you open it (either voluntarily or not) you need to bleed it.

I would replace all rotors & pads and bleed old fluid and put new in.
What happened to cause it to leak fluid? That also needs to be addressed.

What color is the fluid? Brake fluid should be clear. If it has taken on a color it has probably absorbed water. Water and any air in the line is compressible. Thats not good.
For the hydraulics to work correctly it needs to be free of water or air.

I wish you luck.....
The leak came from the front drivers side wheel, where the brake was driven wayyy to far on. As for the color of the liquid, was hard to distinguish due to rainy/wet conditions.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,352 Posts
What color is it in your tank?

Even if you drive it down to rotor on the backing plate of the pad that
shouldnt breach your hydrolic system.

The good news is our calipers arnt expensive or even rebuilding it shouldnt be difficult
if it is indeed the rubber seal....or even replacing a line isnt very expensive but it
sounds like the consequences for your actions are gonna bite you.

Since, I take it, you havent done any brakes before-you may want to swing by someplace and get an estimate.

or pull it all apart and inspect what damage occurred durring your negligence...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts