Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 and was wondering if it is at all possible to change the instrument gauge lights. They are currently red and I want to change them to blue. I was just curious if it can be done by removing the dash and swapping specific bulbs or if I need more to make the modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
A couple others will jump in soon with more specifics I'm sure - But - it 100% can be done.

Its just a matter of pulling out the cluster, soldering in new lights and your good to go. There are a few shops that even sell different gauge faces so you can have a white ( or many other colors ) background instead of the black.

Can't wait to see pics once you get this one in!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Hi, I have a 2006 Pontiac G6 V6 and was wondering if it is at all possible to change the instrument gauge lights. They are currently red and I want to change them to blue. I was just curious if it can be done by removing the dash and swapping specific bulbs or if I need more to make the modification. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure what backlighting lamps are used or whether they are soldered in place in our IPC. You might look through the malibu mods forum which is pretty active (but I really can't say how much in common the G6 & Malibu clusters have):

http://www.chevymalibuforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61

There is also the G6Performance forum:

http://www.g6performance.com/forum/

Lots of modding happening there. I know it's possible because I've seen them with blue backlights.

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
r u good at soldering??
AGREED!!!! I did that to mine at it was PITA. Word of advice make sure you have an extra cluster for parts just in case you brake a needle or ruin a motor. If you need any help or parts just let me know. But once again a second cluster is key!! i was driving around not being able to tell how much gas i had in my car for a week lol

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Do you have any pictures of the IPC circuit board?

What type of LEDs does it have?

How do the needles come off?
If you look on the other g6 site (g6performance) their is actually a tutorial on how to do it in the "how to" section. The needles come off by turning and popping them ever so gently upward lol

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
If you look on the other g6 site (g6performance) their is actually a tutorial on how to do it in the "how to" section. The needles come off by turning and popping them ever so gently upward lol
Thanks for that. It's not intuitive in the least & I studied them closely. Because I'm still under the bumper-to-bumper I'm going to give it a try. If I F it up, I'll just play dumb at the dealer. They look very delicate, to say the least.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
dont turn the needles...youll break the motor. Pry straight up (use a fork).
The motors are interchangeable if you break one. You can remove them from the board
from the other side of the circuit board. Just push in the center push pins holding
it to the board. Then depress the sides of the pins to release it.

To reinstall set it exactly where you want it and push STRAIGHT on. If your off a bit dont turn it to set. Pry it back up and snap it back down again till you get it perfect.

Turning the needles WILL break it.

I hope that made sense.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The motors are interchangeable if you break one. You can remove them from the board
from the other side of the circuit board. Just push in the center push pins holding

To reinstall set it exactly where you want it and push STRAIGHT on. If your off a bit dont turn it to set. Pry it back up and snap it back down again till you get it perfect.

I hope that made sense.
I'm glad I got distracted & didn't try it last night. I appreciate your help.

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts

I hope that made sense.
I wish mine just pried off..I had to twist and pull..the one i tried pulling straight up with a spoon snapped in half

1 - 11 of 11 Posts