Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the concenses about oil changing? Are you all changing your oil at 3,000 mile or 3 months or 50, 40, 30, 0 on your oil calculator indicator?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I go by the Oil Life Monitor when it gets to around 30%. Figures out to about 5,500-6,000 mi.+ depending on the outside temp.

Too expensive to pay $55 every 3,000....and no I can't do it myself because my apartment complex yelled at people for doing it. Something about the insurance or whatever.

I should also note that I drive 80-90% highway so less wear on the oil

·
GTP 06
588 Posts
I go by the Oil Life Monitor when it gets to around 30%. Figures out to about 5,500-6,000 mi.+ depending on the outside temp.

Too expensive to pay $55 every 3,000....and no I can't do it myself because my apartment complex yelled at people for doing it. Something about the insurance or whatever.

I should also note that I drive 80-90% highway so less wear on the oil
55$? where are you going to change your oil?? i'm paying like 24$ and sometimes I do it myself for like 13$

·
Break My Wallet Tech
77 Posts
I am at 6063 on mine and about to do my first oil service.
I will be using castrol synthetic, as in what we use in our shop, on BMWs.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was changing at 50% and that was about 5,000 miles, but I pulled the dip stick.....looked and smelled of the oil and it just about looks and smells like new at 50%. I was a religious oil changer at 3000 miles but back then I only drove 220 miles a week. I now drive a minimum of 300 a week. My read out is at 30% now. We are talking about almost 8000 miles in 5 month now.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
55$? where are you going to change your oil?? i'm paying like 24$ and sometimes I do it myself for like 13$
I go to Jiffy Lube...as bad as things usually are there it's the best place around here. For example I went to Wally Mart and it took 2 hours, Monro with my fiancees car and they screwed up the alignment...etc.

They use Pennzoil blend, I don't think they would appreciate if I brought my own.

okay I wrote that at work and now that I'm home I look at the receipt and it's only $49; still expensive though. it was more last time because I got the tires rotated.

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
First oil change will be at around 3,000 miles, however, I am going to be switching to Mobil1 Extended Protection and a Mobil1 filter. After the switch I will follow the oil life monitor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I think it really depends what kind of oil you use. Synthetic oils tend to last longer. I am using a blend and it runs well. I change my oil at about 5,000 miles. If you use a conventional oil I recommend Castrol GTX. It cleans well and lasts a good long while.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not to get into a discussion on synthetic. But I have read that the cost far out ways the benefits. They do not protect your engine that much better than conventional.

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
Not to get into a discussion on synthetic. But I have read that the cost far out ways the benefits. They do not protect your engine that much better than conventional.
To a point you are correct. Conventional oils perform wonderfully and will protect your engine's internals as well as any synthetic for standard use throughout a conventional OCI.

However, synthetic resists breakdown (high temps, turbos, other extreme applications) and will last longer than a conventional motor oil.

If your OCI is 3,000 miles regardless of oil type, synthetic is a waste of money. If you want to start extending your OCI to up to 7,000 or even 10,000 miles without an oil analysis then synthetic is your best bet. (a 10,000 mile OCI even WITH an analysis still gives me the heeby-jeebies.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
When the OLM say so. On conventional. I don't think there are any maufacturers that recomend a 3000 mile OCI anymore.
The OLM is calibrated for conventional so any one that meets the specs in the proper weight should be fine to change out when the OLM says so. It seems to do it's job, my changes are about half the distance as they are in the summer. Some people will run synthetics for twice the OLM, reset first time after the change and change when it goes off the second time.

·
Registered
452 Posts
In most cases, you are right that using synthetic oil is not very cost effective. But they do protect the engine much better than regular oil under severe conditions. For normal driving conditions, you will not see much benefit since regular oil is good enough and was designed to provide sufficient protection for the life of an engine. It all depends on your driving and maintenance habit and whether the extra peace of mind is worth the extra cost of using synthetics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am at 6063 on mine and about to do my first oil service.
I will be using castrol synthetic, as in what we use in our shop, on BMWs.

Hey Rusty,
I'm going to use Castro Edge as well. I heard somebody say that once you use full synthetic you shouldn't go back to regular. Is that myth or reality?

·
Registered
77 Posts
GM spent millions of dollars developing the OLM system so I use it but end up changing at 30% oil life remaining which is about 5500 miles for me.

Mark.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts