Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening all, 2009 G6 base so far i have fixed an ABS light (new hub and new harness) and the crank position sensor error ( replaced both sensors)

i am after the crankshaft error codes next unless someone can shed some light on this.

still have:

P0420 catalyst system low eff.
p0016 - crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A
p0017 - crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor B
C0561 unknown diagnostic trouble fault
P0107 manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor circuit low voltage

symptoms: traction control light is on, check engine is on. takes a little longer to start then i think it should.
when i go for a short spin its got no power and shifts hard when i let off the gas at speed.

things i have done:
replaced the pass. hub and wiring harness
replaced the crank sensors both of them
replaced the cam sensors both of them EXH and INT
pulled the traction control switch and tested it, pins a and d have continuity, when i hit the button pin c and a have momentary continuity.

this is a new to me used car i picked up at auction for a friend who is in a bad spot and needs a car.

any help would be great,
thanks,
mike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The C0561 code has something to mdo with the traction control system. The ABS is involved with the traction control system. Have you cleared these codes yet ? I'm asking because if you fixed the ABS light problem, it may have fixed the C0561 code as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The C0561 code has something to mdo with the traction control system. The ABS is involved with the traction control system. Have you cleared these codes yet ? I'm asking because if you fixed the ABS light problem, it may have fixed the C0561 code as well.
ABS codes are gone along with that dreaded light.

Thanks,
mike

·
Registered
205 Posts
I can't find the trouble codes P0016 and 17 but my manual shows those codes to be in the area of CAMshaft position codes. The CRANKshaft position codes are like P0335 - P0352. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place ????

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i replaced the crankshaft position sensors to clear a 0335 code ( those are the sensors on the trans side of the block, with the rear one being a complete PITA to get to) then i replaced the 2 camshaft position sensors (taller silver sensors marked int and exh located in the top of the block) not sure how to test the wiring to them to see if maybe the harness is shot or something is grounded out.

and thanks for the help, it means alot!

mike.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The two tall silver thingers are actually Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoids. Those two sensors on the transmission side of the engine are actually the two Camshaft Position Sensors. I don't know how changing those could clear the P0335 code which is a Crankshaft Position error. I'm 85 so I tend to be a little snarky...sorry.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The two tall silver thingers are actually Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoids. Those two sensors on the transmission side of the engine are actually the two Camshaft Position Sensors. I don't know how changing those could clear the P0335 code which is a Crankshaft Position error. I'm 85 so I tend to be a little snarky...sorry.
that would explain why i still have that crankshaft error... and wow its not easy to get too... wish me luck.

mike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Those can be tough as particles can plug up the screens on the solenoids. Usually the cam phaser actuators (camshaft timing gears) themselves will need replacement. Also check and be prepared to replace some or all of the timing chain guides. They have a tendency to wear, especially if the mileage is high or the oil change history is sketchy. Memory ain't what it used to be but I think there used to be a TSB about those codes. No promises, but I'll see if I can track it down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah and on that note i have decided to rid myself of this POS.

thanks for all the help it really meant alot!

laterz,
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the same "crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A" error, would I need to look at the intake/exhaust on top of the motor or look for the sensors to replace first?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have the same "crankshaft position correlation bank 1 sensor A" error, would I need to look at the intake/exhaust on top of the motor or look for the sensors to replace first?
There are 3 sensors that might cause that, 2 of them are on the trans side of the block on the frint and back, the front isnt so bad to get to at all, the back... well i took off the reservoir and a few bolts that were holding brackets down so i could slide things around.

The crank sensor is a different story all together. It sits above/ behind the starter. Its in a very difficult to get to spot.

Not sure if replacing those sensors will get rid of the codes but it cant hurt.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
57 Posts
There are 3 sensors that might cause that, 2 of them are on the trans side of the block on the frint and back, the front isnt so bad to get to at all, the back... well i took off the reservoir and a few bolts that were holding brackets down so i could slide things around.

The crank sensor is a different story all together. It sits above/ behind the starter. Its in a very difficult to get to spot.

Not sure if replacing those sensors will get rid of the codes but it cant hurt.

Thanks,
Mike
Thank you, should I just check resistance on each to determine if bad or not?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think that the sensors are hall effect so there would be a saw tooth patten if you have a scope you might be able to back probe them and check but im not 100% sure and i dont have a scope to check.

past that im not sure,
sorry....

mike.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had/have same problem. Been watching Scotty Kilmers videos,trying to figure it out. I've narrowed down my cars problem to either: old/crappy wiring/corroded or oxidized contacts, or my computer needs replaced. 😕 Hope ya fix yours, and if ya do... Show it off, so I can learn too! 🥺😉

1 - 17 of 17 Posts