Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my traction control light has been turning on and off repeatedly, mostly when I'm on the highway. It also feels like the car is shifting hard, or as if it misses when I accelerate. After turning on and off a few times, eventually my check engine light comes on. My car just turned over 92K miles and I recently had my transmission rebuilt by GM. I took my car to AutoZone and it was throwing code P0174. I checked my MAF censor and it looks fine, and I also bought some good fuel injector cleaner so I don't think that's the problem either. Anyone have this problem, if so, have you found a solution?

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Recently my traction control light has been turning on and off repeatedly, mostly when I'm on the highway. It also feels like the car is shifting hard, or as if it misses when I accelerate. After turning on and off a few times, eventually my check engine light comes on. My car just turned over 92K miles and I recently had my transmission rebuilt by GM. I took my car to AutoZone and it was throwing code P0174. I checked my MAF censor and it looks fine, and I also bought some good fuel injector cleaner so I don't think that's the problem either. Anyone have this problem, if so, have you found a solution?

Thanks,
Mike
Currently have the same problem.... We're is the MAF sensor located sorry to sound stupid

I am throwing a P0171 and P0174

·
Registered
2,388 Posts

Thanks,
Mike
P0174: running lean in bank 2--either too much air or not enough fuel

(The traction control system is disabled for so many reasons it is not very helpful as a diagnostic aid)

There are lots of possible causes but start here:

A dirty MAF sensor. Carefully clean it no matter what it looks like. Use only MAF sensor spray & don't touch the sensor wire with anything but the spray. Also clean the throttle body if that hasn't been done lately. After you have done these two maintenance items clear the code & see if it returns. If it does you next need to look for an unmetered air leak that affects bank 2 more than bank 1. Looking at the fuel trim would probably be very helpful in the diagnosis but that requires tools & training most DIYers don't have.

What year & which engine?

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT coupe 3.5L V6
14 Posts
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L engine and my car has been giving me the same 2 codes for running lean - bank 1 and bank 2 since November 2020. I replaced everything but the spark plugs and fuel injectors so far .... I replaced my MAF sensor,. 02 sensor, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, I checked for air leaks and I have none, I even took it for a smog test and it past!, I used sea foam in the gas tank when I was about empty before my next fill up, I used sea foam in my throttle body and cleaned it all out, I have done just about everything and my SERVICE TRACTION SOON comes on the radio and sometimes my CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will soon follow it... And then again, the same 2 codes (P0174 Fuel Trim system lean bank 1 and P0171 Fuel trim system lean bank 2)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L engine and my car has been giving me the same 2 codes for running lean - bank 1 and bank 2 since November 2020. I replaced everything but the spark plugs and fuel injectors so far .... I replaced my MAF sensor,. 02 sensor, coolant flush, brake fluid flush, I checked for air leaks and I have none, I even took it for a smog test and it past!, I used sea foam in the gas tank when I was about empty before my next fill up, I used sea foam in my throttle body and cleaned it all out, I have done just about everything and my SERVICE TRACTION SOON comes on the radio and sometimes my CHECK ENGINE LIGHT will soon follow it... And then again, the same 2 codes (P0174 Fuel Trim system lean bank 1 and P0171 Fuel trim system lean bank 2)
Has the exhaust been sounding loud mostly while accelerating? Have the exhaust flex pipes checked. This recently happened to my ride and one of the two flex pipes was cracked . Made for poor running since the air leak messed with the O2 sensors which directly affect fuel trims. Local exhaust shop welded in replacement flex pipes for a very reasonable price(rather than replacing the whole converter/flex pipe assy.

·
Registered
2007 Pontiac G6 GT coupe 3.5L V6
14 Posts
Has the exhaust been sounding loud mostly while accelerating? Have the exhaust flex pipes checked. This recently happened to my ride and one of the two flex pipes was cracked . Made for poor running since the air leak messed with the O2 sensors which directly affect fuel trims. Local exhaust shop welded in replacement flex pipes for a very reasonable price(rather than replacing the whole converter/flex pipe assy.
Not to sound stupid, because I'm not too knowledged on mechanical terms... But I thought I heard something break off my car so I was checking it in a parking lot. Some strange guy walks up and tells me to have my "Manifold mesh" he called it checked out. I told my brother to check it out and some strangers told me that It's not supposed to look like the way it does or something... Well My brother called it a flex pipe for my exhaust. He said it's fine. And now I'm having issues with my brake pedal position sensor. The other day, my car didn't want to shift out of PARK. But it only did it when I turned the car off and then turned it back on. I also heard a grinding gears noise come from the brake pedal when I surpresed it to shift from PARK. My break pads are fine, calipers are fine. Now it's been 3 days since that day and it hasn't done it to me again, yet.. but it smelled like my brake pad was burning away from a brake caliper sticking or something.... I ordered a brake pedal position sensor, should arrive tomorrow. (My brother mentioned my car threw a code for it when he scanned my car when 2 weeks ago) This car sure has been a rollercoaster for me, my emotions and sh*t lol😆 ... My G6 is needing an exorcism!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yes the flex pipes are covered by a wire "mesh" screening. If that has come off, then it's highly likely the pipe it is to cover is also broken. The 2 flex pipes are in between the oxygen sensors for the car, and WILL affect their readings which will make for poor acceleration and strange smells. Bad enough and it will eventually turn on the engine light.
Hey, it's an older car now, you have to maintain things more often than cars half or less the age of yourG6.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks,
Mike
You have a wheel bearing out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts