Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I replaced my license plate light with a LED bulb and I switched back to the regular bulb to see the diff and when i put the bulb in the socket it gave a little spark and then the bulb wouldnt light up either the led or the regular bulb.....I assumed i blew a fuse so I checked the two fuses in the trunk that are park lights and they were fine and my parking lights were on anyways.....eventually my license plate light started working on its own no problems......but then my check engine light came on.....I was like wtf looked in the manual and it said that if the electrical system gets wet the light will come on.....I figured the bulb got wet some how and that caused the spark so I took out the bulb stuck a blowdryer in there and made sure it all was throughly dry....then I cleared the check engine light by disconnecting the battery for over a minute.....now i turned my car on again and the light came back on......any ideas on what it could be? I made sure all the fuses were in the right place and it appeared that none of them were blown bc everything is working

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
U need to get the code read. Take it to Auto Zone or one of those car part places that do it for free. Im not sure where you live but I have a code reader if your around San Antonio.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea i am going to get the code read tonight after I get home from school in around 2 hours from now so I will keep you guys updated....why would the good bulb not work after it sparked then work all of the sudden on its own?

·
Active G6er
27 Posts
the spark might have caused some osrt of safety mechanism to kick in. Like Lampoon said take it to autozone. If they tell you it's something electrical have them clear the code. They aren't supposed to be mine will do what i tell them. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so this is what the code is p0449........under definition its EVAP (evaporative emission system) purge/vent solenoid circuit condition.....Explanation says The solenoids and system wiring are monitored for opens or shorts Probable cause purge or vent solenoids defective or check connector wiring or fual saturated vapor canister or failed evap solenoid.....I know nothing about this if anyone has any experience and has any input it would be greatly appreciated...thanks guys

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
ok crap this sucks i guess I gotta take my car in.....do you think the license plate light is a related event or a coincidence? thanks.......is this something that I can drive on for a little bit nothing major just like around town for the next couple of day?

·
Procrastinator
67 Posts
Autozones in California don't read codes anymore. They told me that dealerships were complaining about people having their codes reset and ignoring the problem. I had to pay $50 at one of those oil change places to get it scanned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.