Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 G6, base model, that I bought new in October 2004. It's been a good car and only has 62K miles and finally got it paid off this year (woo-hoo).

I want to keep it at least another year, and so far so good. This week, when I start it, there is a message on the DIC that says "Check Gas Cap".

Anyone else had this issue? I don't think it will be resolved by buying a new gas cap and I talked to the dealer service guy and he said they'd need to run a check to see if it has to do with the fuel system, which is the only major repair I've done to date (new fuel pump, lines etc, almost $1200.

Any suggestions?

Thanks from a newcomer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just replace the gas cap with a really good looking gas cap, and the problem will go away. We have a 2008 G6 GT, and my wife likes her ride. I do most of the work on it myself, but the computer diagnostic side. Have to use the dealer for that...........HoneyBitty05

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm pretty sure you got an evap leak. Most G6s having this problem turned out to be caused by bad vent selonoids that stuck open. But there are other possiblilities as well. The only way to find out is to do a smoke test, before you spend any money on the wrong part.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm pretty sure you got an evap leak. Most G6s having this problem turned out to be caused by bad vent selonoids that stuck open. But there are other possiblilities as well. The only way to find out is to do a smoke test, before you spend any money on the wrong part.
Can someone please expand on this vent selonoids theory. Im not sure what that is or where its located but i definitely get the Check gas cap issue from time to time and i was told its an EVAP issue but never knew wat caused it. now if someone can expand on what the Vent selenoids are i can atleast go to my mechanic with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gas Cap Issue

Just after I posted my question about the gas cap, my neighbor told me he solved the problem on a 2006 Chevy by buying a new gas cap.

I went to the parts store, paid $13.00 for the gas cap and the guy at the counter said it would take about 50-100 miles for the system to reset itself (which sounded kind of lame). I drove it for another and was going to drop it off at a local repair place. The gas cap reminder was still coming on every time I started it.

The guy there was too busy so I made an appointment for later (he said something about a smoke test, also).

And as I started the car to leave there, the light didn't come on and so far hasn't again. I'm sure the problem isn't resolved but like too many people I don't pay attention unless there's some kind of warning!

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check Gas cap

I've got an 06 G6 GT with almost 120k miles on it. "Check Gas Cap" started a few months ago. I finally bought a new gas cap at Auto Zone and I thought I fixed the problem. My husband started driving it and said he never saw the warning again. But of course, the first time I drive it after the new gas cap, it dings and shows "Check Gas Cap" again... and... drum roll... Then I got the dreaded check engine light! Checked the code on that at home and it was PO455.
I took it in. It's been at AAMCO since Monday. They said it was throwing 4 codes. They are charging me $400 to run diagnostics on all four codes. It's now Friday and I still don't know what is wrong with it. I think my AAMCO is under new management and they are probably screwing me. The only reason I took it there is because I had a similar issue with a different automobile about two months ago, and they had awesome service and went out of their way to help me and to not screw me. So, I am probably very, very screwed right now.
I have done every scheduled maintenance on this car (and then some). Besides putting four or five sets of rotors and 6-8 sets of brakes on this thing, and constantly having to get it aligned and balanced, I really haven't had any "system" trouble with it. It got new spark plugs and lots of new goodies, and it recently passed its smog check.
So... This sucks, and it's quite surprising, since it got a clean bill of health on it only a few months ago.
Anyway, I'll let you all know what they find.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts