Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just on the eve of hitting 100k miles Ive run into a minor problem that i want to address before it turns into a bigger problem. Most of the time I accelerate mildly in 4th (but not enough to knock it down to 3rd)the trans chokes for a few seconds. At first I thought it only happened when I was going uphill, but now I know that is not the case. It is easier when going up though. I've been up to par with my maintenance as well. I checked for any CEL codes with my laptop and no luck.

Note: I have the 4 speed.

Edit: I just got done messing with the car in tapshift in 4th. The car seems to jerk under mild acceleration after the car has gone into some "overdrive" mode (aka the RPM's drop below 1.5k and its hard to accelerate). Usually this happens between 40-55 mph and under 1.7k RPM.

Any ideas?

The feeling is coming from the transmission and its that same kind of bump you get when you run over something (without the actual car going up and down)

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
It’s really hard to trouble shoot from here but I'll ask you a few questions because I'm just curious,
Can it be a stall in the engine doing this? Say, if the engine quit firing for a split second then once the fire returned it jolted the transmission? I'm sure you perform regular maintenance on your 6 but is it possible to have a dirty injector? I know I’m steering away from the transmission but I feel that you would have more trouble from the tranny in different areas if that was the cause of the problem.

Just guessing too.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would think something like that would show up as a CEL though. I've read of the problems being cracked/broken spark plug to lock-up torque converter. I'm going to go to my local AAMCO soon and get this sorted before I destroy my tranny (or engine).

I've tried forcing the problem for 5 seconds to see if I could get it to trip a CEL or any codes, but the car doesn't even know something is wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I am experiencing something similar. My 2007 GT has 206K miles on it. Now the trans seems like it is slipping. People on other threads are having trans issues too so check those threads out as well. good luck.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Although this is just preliminary, I cleaned the MAF sensor and unplugged the battery (resetting the computer learnings) the other day. I havn't driven the car much yet, but it seems like the problem is gone (for now). I'll update this if it comes back. I doubt the problem was from the MAF sensor, so if anyone runs into this problem, try unplugging your battery for 10 minutes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts