Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing my own brake jobs for about 50 years. My work provides good results and, thanks to forums such as this and other sources on the web, I feel I have learned the ins and outs of this particular maintenance job. I am no expert though, particularly when it comes to choosing brake parts from multiple offerings. Take rotors, for example. I want OE plain rotors, no slots, no drills. Even OE plain are offered in a myriad of prices and manufacturers. Typically the price range from the cheapest to most expensive is significant. Other than simply saying more expensive is better, how do I choose a rotor or even brake pads? Some cast iron used in rotors is better than others but offerings do not describe the quality of cast iron. I would appreciate advice about how to select a suitable rotor from many on offer. I am simply a daily driver looking for reliability and longevity.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I went with the ACDelco rotor replacements. The price seemed reasonable and I have been happy with them. I generally use RockAuto and double check Amazon as they sometimes come out better with shipping. For pads I generally pick the Akebono ceramics. They seem to have a good bite without too much dust or noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, boomer. Any recommendation from an experienced user is valuable. I too favour Rock Auto for most of my purchases on line. They offer an excellent selection at seemigly reasonable prices. However, it is that very fact that can be confusing. AC Delco is a good brand but why? Is their grade of cast iron better than an identical product at half the price? If it is, surely there are grades of cast iron, quantifiable numbers of some kind, that would help make a choice. It is that lack of quantifiable comparables that makes choice difficult.

My ideal rotor would look just like the original rotors, last about as long, and would not rust all over in no time. Ever noticed how expensive cars seem to have rotors that do not rust like the rest of them? How will I know how long a rotor will last, how quickly it will rust, from the information offered in the listings? Some rotors seem to have a tendency to warp quite quickly. Again, how can I discern which ones are better in that regard? Is there any reference source on line which provides comparisons, the sort that Consumer Reports provides? I have tried coated rotors. They seem to resist rust a bit longer, but not much. Coated rotors usually are only offered in drilled or slotted. And so it goes on, very confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Rock Auto has Coated Rotors to help with the rust.
If you live in a place like NYS where they salt roads a lot of people go for cheap rotors and good pads.
I find after 2 winters the rotors are shot from the rust and everything else needs to be cleaned and lubed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually live in Nova Scotia where our roads are indeed salted in the winter. I think perhaps your suggestion of cheap rotors replaced every brake job and good pads is a sound one. I will give that a go. Thanks for your input, Ed.

·
08 convertible
199 Posts
If you want cheap and no special requirements, go to your local parts store and get the cheapest rotors with a lifetime warranty. That way if they ever warp or otherwise fail, you can take them and exchange them over the counter. Do you guys have Autozone or Advanced or OReilly stores in Canada?

Rotors that don't rust are a different animal, and more expensive. I'm in a rust belt environment and have had good results with Bosch QuietCast rotors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good suggestions, dxG6, thank you. Here the main independent parts distributor is NAPA. I don't think we have the others. Cheapest rotor with a lifetime warranty is an excellent suggestion. Much appreciated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts