Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my G6 GT coupe for almost 2 years now and I've only just decided to get a car charger for my phone... :eek:

Well, the car charger didn't work... come to find out that the fuse had actually blown. For all I know, the fuse was blown when I bought the car. Anyways, I replaced it... and tried the car charger... it worked once and then blew again. I was told that it might have been the brand that I bought, so I went and purchased a 'name' brand and tried that, which also blew.

I replaced the fuse with the exact same fuse that was in it... a 20.

Any ideas??? :confused:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Does the fuse blow right away? Or only after you have plugged something in to the socket, or only once you try to turn that device on?

Can you see if there is anything stuck down in the socket? My car has a socket in the center console as well. Perhaps a dime fell in there and is shorting it out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the fuse blow right away? Or only after you have plugged something in to the socket, or only once you try to turn that device on?
I'm not actually sure, I've never replaced the fuse, turned on and off the car and then gone back to check and see if it blew or not. I've always just tried my car charger... so, I will go ahead and replace the fuse (thank goodness I have a whole bunch of them!), turn the car on and off and then check it.

Can you see if there is anything stuck down in the socket? My car has a socket in the center console as well. Perhaps a dime fell in there and is shorting it out.
I did have a look in both sockets and nothing was in either, I will check again with a flashlight just incase there is something very small that I missed the first time.

Thank you for your help!!

·
Legend
782 Posts
You could try using a bigger fuse. Mine blew one day and I replaced it with a 25 bc thats all i had at the time. Works like a champ.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could try using a bigger fuse. Mine blew one day and I replaced it with a 25 bc thats all i had at the time. Works like a champ.

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I thought that if you put the wrong fuse in that you run the risk of damaging your electronics?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Installing a larger fuse runs the very real risk of overdrawing & overheating (& subsequent melting) of the circuit wires which often will melt other wires in the harness & create a huge problem. Don't ever do it.

·
Legend
782 Posts
well you told me hahaha

·
Registered
156 Posts
I had the same problem. My solution was this... I pulled the side panel off and the wires coming from the back of the cigarette lighter were taped from the factory but the tape was somewhat melted (I live in tx). So I just retaped them the best I could and put plastic wire covers over them. Fixed it, and no fuse has blown again. Hope your fix is as simple as mine!

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
well you told me hahaha
If a fuse is blowing then there is too much current being drawn through it & the fuse is just doing it's job of protecting the circuit.

When you install a larger fuse than the circuit wire size calls for it's the same as leaving out the circuit protection device altogether. The wire may blow/open before the fuse blows/opens.

I've no idea what load you have on that power port circuit but it would be much better to create a completely separate circuit with a larger size wire & use the correct size fuse to protect that size wiring.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I know I had a similar problem, with the 12V outlet in the center console.
I always used to for my phone charge/ ipod charger and one day it stopped working.
After hunting down the fuse and replacing it, it was fine for the last 6 months so far.
having the '06 V6, I'm not sure it after 5 years of use(at the time) the fuse just decided to blow?...
but yes. NEVER use a different fuse than what is OEM, it's just bad news

·
Registered
90 Posts
Where is the lighter fuse located? I was using one of those plug in air compressors and it blew and now I can't use my radar detector. How is it labeled in the owners manual and is it the same for the outlet in the console box? Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts