Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!! I've heard everyone talk about using a clay bar. I've never used it before, so I read up on it. It seems really awesome!! Has anyone used it? and is it really that awesome??

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! I may try it! I have a lot of little scratches in my car, but im sure that wont do anything. I guess i'll have to get them buffed out.

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
The clay bar is an abrasive. Think of it as super-ultra fine sandpaper. It will remove all surface contaminants from your paint, leaving you a pristine surface for your polishing/last step product. Use PLENTY of lubricant and you'll be left with a paint surface smooth as a baby's behind.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i claybar'ed and meguires 3 staged my car last summer, it took about 5 hours using a buffer, but the result was flawless, the clay bar works wonders, you can hear it pulling debris off the paint as u use it.

Attachments

·
` Colleen =)
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to get one, and do it when the weather is nicer, and when i have a whole sunday to devote to it! haha! thanks everyone!!

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
Just remember...if you drop it discard it. It will be contaminated with grit and dirt that you won't want to rub on your paint.

When the clay becomes darker it has removed too many contaminants. You can then, however, use it on windows (fantastic bug remover).

·
Slick Black Pontiac
151 Posts
Just did Clay Bar.

I just finished shining up the GT with a Meguiars Clay bar. At first it didn't seem to do much but then when I looked down the panel I could see just how much smoother the surface was. I agree that you can really hear the sound of the contaminants coming off! At first I had a hard time figuring out how much Quik Detailer lube to use, but once I did, it went pretty fast. After the Clay bar I used the "cleaner wax" that came with the kit and it shined up very nicely. I was really pleased at how fast the wax went on after using the clay bar, it really did save time in the end because I didn't have to rub as hard to get the wax off.
I think the finish might benefit from a "top coat" wax or something. Maybe some kind of sealer or something.

I like a shiny car but it sure is a lot of work to get one.

I'd post some pics but the sun went down and its a black car...

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
You people are making me jones to break out my equipment again. I quit detailing other people's vehicles for the most part but do enjoy making mine look perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts