Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the manual climate control "head unit" in my 08 GT coupe and wanted to convert to the automatic climate control "head unit". The harness plugs for the manual head unit are different (size) from what is need for the automatic unit. Is there any kind of harness adapter that I can buy so that I would be able to convert to the automatic climate control unit?

· Registered
3 Posts
As far as I can tell, no. I bought a used auto control for $25 to find out I can't install it in my 05. Unless someone out there has attempted this. I looked at the service manual to attepmt this, there are sensors not installed on the manual systems needed. And the harness is quite different, even if it could be adapted.

· Registered
2 Posts
Yes, it can be done and its not very difficult, just time consuming. You do need the parts from a donor car. The recirculation actuator from the far upper right side of the dash is different for climate control, its 5 wire instead of 2. Both other actuators in the center, right and left of the center console are the same. I took this far upper right actuator, blower speed control module & fan connector, and most of the center to right climate control harness out of a donor car along with the upper and lower temperature sensors. Cost me a whopping $30 at pull apart salvage yard. I took the sensors and kept them plugged into the harness so they only notice the climate control unit and the harness and charge accordingly. The original non-climate control unit in the car has a single connector and the terminals in that connector are not the same time, so the wires have to be cut off that connector and spliced to the connectors that you bring home from your salvage harness. The only wires you need to retain from your salvage harness are the heavy gauge black(it has the ring terminal that bolts down low) for the fan control and the heavy gauge red/black that you need to remove from the body control module connector from location B2, also keep the 5 wires running to the far upper right actuator that you will need and there is also a gray/black wire from the fan control module all the way back to one of the climate control connectors. The fan speed control module wires connect to the fan and that whole circuit is within your donor harness. Everything else from the donor harness can be thrown out and yes its a bunch of wires that went to everything else that you dont need. I just cut all the tape and removed everything except these wires listed. I kept my existing harness in place. Then cut and spliced the new connectors to my original harness wires. I left the original fan switch and fan motor connectors in my car and just taped them back in case things didn't work out. The hardest part is matching up the wires from the original connector to the climate control connectors, I downloaded a schematic from mitchell. 1 year subscripton for my car was cheap. There are 3+ tan wires that all need to be correctly matched up. The multiple gray wires don't matter as those are just 5 volt supplies. You will need to also connect to the dark green data link of the car. The dark green wire going to Pin 9 from the factory radio connector can be cut, connect this one to the dark green pin 1 of the gray climate control connector. Then connect the other dark green wire back to the other side of the green wire going into the radio. This is the original way the climate control box is tied to the data control circuit. I spent an afternoon combing 3 different salvage yards before finally finding a car with climate control, it ended up coming from a Saturn Aura. It took about an hour ripping what I needed out of that car. I spent probably 3 hours installing it back into my car due to all the splicing and making sure to get all the tan and tan striped wires connected back correctly verifying with the schematics. Both climate control and non climate control use the same wire numbers for all the actuators. Once installed, It works perfectly and very happy with results.

· Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to mention, the holes for the upper and lower temp sensors are not there in your car but the location where they are supposed to be is marked on the plastic and it was super easy to cut the holes using a small exacto knife. Then the sensors snapped right into place. You need to pop these sensors out of your donor car and buy them along with your harness(leave them plugged in so it looks like they are part of the harness when you are buying it. Take the parts car harness along with the blower control module(located right beside the blower motor), blower motor connector, blower is the same so you don't need that unless yours is bad. Both the upper and lower temperature sensors, and the far upper right actuator, to find it, follow up the right side behind glove box all the way up towards the top of the dash. It only has 1 screw and then it pops off the shaft using a screwdriver, its a very tight space but a 1/4 drive rachet, extension and deep socket removed the screw easily.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.