Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a spray can of white lithium grease and i always wanted to get rid of the annoying clunking issue by the intermediate steering shaft. It is quite rusty when i take a good close look at it from the engine bay.. Does anyone know where to shoot the spray? From inside the engine bay to the shaft or inside the car beside the foot area? Which parts need to be lubricated? Please help and let me know. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
After reading about this issue on the forum here, thinking I had bad tie rod ends or worn bushings on one or both lower control arms, I got up in there and saw the area needing to be lubricated inside the car where the steering column shaft connects to the intermediate shaft. Hit it with white lithium grease and sure enough, it cured the clunking problem.

I would never have found the cure if it wasn't for the posts about the issue and the fix on this forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I ordered a new Dorman shaft before I realized you can lube the shaft. The new shaft completely changed the steering feel, it clunked as well, and make it feel floaty. I thought maybe it was just making something else worn out more evident but I switched back to the OEM shaft after lubing it and it is good as new now.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Jay-001,

If you send me your VIN I can see if there is a recall or extended warranty for this issue. If you are interested in me looking this up please send me a private message.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

1 - 7 of 7 Posts