Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'07 G6 Vert .. I don't know if it's related, but I did find it odd that after having a hole in my exhaust repaired (flex pipe), I started getting EVAP codes.

I don't have hard starts (though my car has always sputtered when 'coasting' after going in reverse) or any other new symptoms that I've been able to tell.

When I clear the code, it only returns when the car is idle for a little bit.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
36 Posts
'07 G6 Vert .. I don't know if it's related, but I did find it odd that after having a hole in my exhaust repaired (flex pipe), I started getting EVAP codes.

I don't have hard starts (though my car has always sputtered when 'coasting' after going in reverse) or any other new symptoms that I've been able to tell.

When I clear the code, it only returns when the car is idle for a little bit.

Thoughts?
Anytime I have had this issue with OBDII cars for the EVAP system it's been 1 of two things. Either the gasket on the gas cap is worn or the gas cap is not on tight or the car has been overfilled with gas... you know, when you try to put just a little bit more in after the pump shuts off on its own. Gas can make its way to the charcoal canister and you can get an EVAP code. Always best to not add any more fuel after the pump shuts off. The gas needs room to expand when hot as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
or the car has been overfilled with gas... you know, when you try to put just a little bit more in after the pump shuts off on its own.
No, that's not how I roll. The cap is definitely tight; I always let it 'click' at least twice. I do hope it's just a cap issue (I've had 'Check Gas Cap' alerts, as well). I don't recall there being a gasket on the cap, but I can always grab one from Autozone for <$20.

Could it also be on the inlet end? I plan on taking it in, since I have to get an oil change anyway, but it would be nice to be able to fix this without too much hassle, if possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
No, that's not how I roll. The cap is definitely tight; I always let it 'click' at least twice. I do hope it's just a cap issue (I've had 'Check Gas Cap' alerts, as well). I don't recall there being a gasket on the cap, but I can always grab one from Autozone for <$20.

Could it also be on the inlet end? I plan on taking it in, since I have to get an oil change anyway, but it would be nice to be able to fix this without too much hassle, if possible.
The gascap... well, gascaps usually have an O ring on them and over time they flatten which prevents them from sealing and can throw a code. Hopefully you can track your issue down. There may be vacuum lines in the EVAP system that has come off or cracked. This makes a little more sense if you have stuttering issues from time to time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts