Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't had an opportunity to take the engine shield off yet. Does anyone know if I need to remove the Power Steering pump in order to get to the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve? Several Youtube videos out there, but, none specifically for the G6 3.9L.

I'm planning on cleaning the IMTV and making sure gaskets/seals are OK and valve moves freely before making a decision to replace the part.

·
Registered
2006 G6 GTP F40
25 Posts
You do have to remove the pump. Don't have to remove the high-pressure line from it, but the low does have to come off. The valve is directly behind the pump...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't had an opportunity to take the engine shield off yet. Does anyone know if I need to remove the Power Steering pump in order to get to the Intake Manifold Tuning Valve? Several Youtube videos out there, but, none specifically for the G6 3.9L.

I'm planning on cleaning the IMTV and making sure gaskets/seals are OK and valve moves freely before making a decision to replace the part.
3.9 GTP has an IMT valve control that can be accessed when you partially remove the steering pump out of the way No lines need to be disconnected, but you may have to get the engine Lift's 3 bracket bolts on the side right next to the pump loosened so you can maneuver the steering pump out of the way. First, loosen the tensioner, release the belt off of the steering pump pulley (do not entirely remove the belt), remove the three steering pump bolts and disconnect the IMT connector both from its switch and its strap to the pump and finally lift the pump out of the way and remove the three IMT bolts and pull the IMT straight out. There are no seals or gaskets to be concerend with. You can wipe down and lubricate the tip of it, but really there isn't anything you should be doing to the IMT unless the ECU sets a code for it to be tested or replaced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the detailed info. Just wanted to get a pretty good idea on the amount of work necessary to fix. With the IMT at around $150 think I'll try to clean it (choke/carb or MAF cleaner) before having to replace.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts