Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im aware they specifically dont make a cold air intake for the 2.4 g6 because it is in fact the base model...however they engine size is the same as the cobalt ss 2.4 or even the 2.4 g5...im pretty sure it will fit however im not sure if any problems will occur with the computer system and whatnot...has anyone installed a air intake on the 2.4 and would your recommend it?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
I dont make one cause its a base model. I dont care about that. I dont make one because the engine will run lean, throw a code and buck on you when shifting if you increase your airflow. The 2.4 cant handle it. Maybe with a tune....who knows.

Sooo I dont want to put out a product that doesnt work. Being a base or a 4cyl has nothing to do with the decision not to make an intake for it. So I dont understand why you say thats a fact....?

As for it being the same..... The 2005 GT is a 3.5 and the 2007 GT is a 3.5 but they are not the same engines. Just cause the displacement is the same doesnt mean they are the same.

I dont believe the Cobalt has the same 2.4......????

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im aware of those facts....my buddy has an intake on his 2.4 cobalt and i have gone to the extent to putting it in my engine...it worked but i didnt keep it in for very long in order to determine if it would mess my engine up...thats why im asking

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
Well then let us know...cause everyone Ive know who does it gets a CEL and hard shifting/bad gas mileage with poor performance.

Come to think of it maybe thats why I smoke most Cobalts...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey can someone tell me about the CRAB intakes, i want one for my 2.4L so first off will it work, second will there be a check engine light and third will i notice a big improvement? and what option do i need?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hey can someone tell me about the CRAB intakes, i want one for my 2.4L so first off will it work, second will there be a check engine light and third will i notice a big improvement? and what option do i need?

From what I've heard, you can't get a CRAB cai for the 2.4l because it throws codes. So no.

JT

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
The 2.4 doesnt handle the air well and it retards everything to burst mode with lean issues and tranny bucking. From what I have seen its not a good combo to put an intake on a 2.4 without tuning for the added air.

Also all intakes are not the same..... sheesh. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Injen intakes restrict airflow by the MAF to that of the stock intake. This gets rid of the CEL.
I got a cheapo cobalt intake that fits and works, I just made an insert to do what the Injen does. I have no CEL and all works great.

A WAMS tune is on it's way so I can remove my insert and be good to go!

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Also for a starter you can get a drop in filter for the stock box (higher air flow) and remove the baffle box that's tucked in behind the bumper. I did that and got some better sounds and what i'm certain was a bit of a performance boost... just a bit

·
Registered
48 Posts
BBA makes an intake for the G6 that comes with air flow adapters so you can slow it down a bit to avoid check engine light issues, also comes with a heat block end i forget the name of it but it's to keep air cooler, seems like a great buy for 150$

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.