Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been a big fan of mods, mainly because I worry about all the electronic stuff (eg emission controls when changing intakes- last time I tried that one, my CEL came on, and I had to return my Ford Probe GT to the stock box just to pass emissions.) And my luck, if I did something like remove the rear headrests on my coupe (already done), when my engine blows, the GM stealer...oops...dealer will tell me that somehow I am responsible because I removed said rear headrests :rolleyes:
I desperately want to lower my coupe, but want to do it right. I believe that the car sits too high- 18" stock rims and tires, and I still have enough wheel gap to fit a Kia between the tire and the wheel well. Plus, when approaching the car from a distance, there is so much ground clearance that it looks like a crossover SUV. If you have done this mod, and I know that several of you have, please post about your experiences, who actually did the work, which lowering kit you used and how much you lowered your G6. Any info on the car's handling before and after would be a great help to me in making my decisions. Also, any negative effects on the stabilitrac or nasty messages on the DIC. Thanks!

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just posting a reply to my own thread sh it shows up under "New Posts". Still hoping someone out there can give me some good information. Thanks- Mike

· Designed For Action
495 Posts
My car has been lowered for about 5 months now. I have Canuck Motorsports lowering springs. There have been no problems related to Stabilitrack, ABS or the Traction Control system. The springs lower the car 1.75" all around. I had the springs installed at a reputable tire shop. The ride is a bit stiffer than stock, but not harsh at all.

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I think 1.75" sounds about right after reevaluating the wheel gap today- man, the car sits high. Can you give me a ballpark estimate on what it cost to lower your GTP? And what do you think of the handling now vs stock?

· Designed For Action
495 Posts
mphred said:
Thanks. I think 1.75" sounds about right after reevaluating the wheel gap today- man, the car sits high. Can you give me a ballpark estimate on what it cost to lower your GTP? And what do you think of the handling now vs stock?
The cost: the springs were $204, the installation was $200 and the 4 wheel alignment was $70. As far as the handling, much better than stock. There is no brake dive and the car takes corners better. :)

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like a great, cheap performance upgrade. I'd probably pay that much just to be rid of the wheel gap problem. :) Thanks for the info (again):cheers:

· Designed For Action
495 Posts
mphred said:
That sounds like a great, cheap performance upgrade. I'd probably pay that much just to be rid of the wheel gap problem. :) Thanks for the info (again):cheers:
Your welcome, Bro. ;)

· Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Keith, is it just me (or the pictures) or is the rear wheel well on the car not exactly circular? The front well seems to have a perfect curvature, but the rear well looks wider and shorter. I remember you saying you lowered 1.75" all around. I may lower slightly less in the rear if you see what I'm seeing. Thanks
Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.