Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, thanks for taking the time to read this! I currently own a '01 Grand Am and love it! Love the styling, interior layout, etc. The time has come to begin my search for my next vehicle, and of course my attention was drawn to the G6.

Doing my own research, I've narrowed my search to a 2009.5 or 2010 G6. Unfortunately, I'm having trouble figuring out which engine options are paired with which transmissions, and what models have the upgraded instrument cluster. I'm mostly interested in the 6 speed auto paired with the 4-banger (for the gas mileage), but I won't rule-out the 6-speed auto with a V6.

Also, when did the power steering switch from electric back to conventional pump? I'd like to avoid the electric steering if at all possible.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
462 Posts
All 2009.5 and 2010 have the upgraded instrument cluster, radio, and HVAC controls.

For the automatic transmissions,
The 2.4 I4 can be paired with either the 4-spd or the 6-spd.
The SE and GT 3.5 V6 only come with the 4-spd. The GT also has the tap-shift feature.
The GXP 3.6 V6 only comes with the 6-spd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the prompt replies!

Looks like I'll be focusing my search on the 2.4 I4 with 6-speed, since the GXP's looks (and gas mileage) are...uhh...not good IMHO. Though, under the right conditions, I'd consider one!

Is the 2.4 I4 the same DOHC the 01 Grand Am has? If not, is the feel about the same (power/weight, sound, pep, etc)?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see some with the new 2009.5 gauge cluster, while some had the old cluster but with white lighting and DIC built-in.
So wait, if the old gauge cluster has the DIC built in, the lighting is white, not the traditional Pontiac red? That's...very disappointing. One of the things that attracts me to Pontiac is the signature red glow in the cabin at night.

·
Registered
462 Posts
So wait, if the old gauge cluster has the DIC built in, the lighting is white, not the traditional Pontiac red? That's...very disappointing. One of the things that attracts me to Pontiac is the signature red glow in the cabin at night.
2005-2009 model years gauges are red.
2009.5-2010 model years gauges are white, even though some of them have the old 2005-2009 style gauges.

·
TC...yea hit that button
99 Posts
Thanks for the prompt replies!

...GXP's looks (and gas mileage) are...uhh...not good IMHO...

Is the 2.4 I4 the same DOHC the 01 Grand Am has? If not, is the feel about the same (power/weight, sound, pep, etc)?
**about the GXP**:agree:

And no, the '01 GA 2.4 was the Twin-Cam motor shared with the j-body and alero. All GA/Alero ever got for an Eco was the 2.2 from 02 or 03+. As for power, pretty sure the newer Eco will have it beat. Shouldn't be hard to find the power specs if googled...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Interesting. I realize this is an old thread, but many of them are.

I just bought a 2010 G6 GT sedan. It has the 3.5 and a 4 speed auto without tap shift. It has white backlighting on the instruments and radio display. All of the other backlighting is red. The DIC is totally contained in the instrument cluster. NOTHING in the radio. The radio is the CD with USB and aux input. 8 speakers. Steering wheel controls for the radio and the DIC functions. It is, without question, the best factory audio system I've ever owned. It has the premium package and (I think) touring package, but does not have the sport package.

So... What is the difference between a 2009.5 and a 2010?
And were there any 2010 convertibles?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting. I realize this is an old thread, but many of them are.

I just bought a 2010 G6 GT sedan. It has the 3.5 and a 4 speed auto without tap shift. It has white backlighting on the instruments and radio display. All of the other backlighting is red. The DIC is totally contained in the instrument cluster. NOTHING in the radio. The radio is the CD with USB and aux input. 8 speakers. Steering wheel controls for the radio and the DIC functions. It is, without question, the best factory audio system I've ever owned. It has the premium package and (I think) touring package, but does not have the sport package.

So... What is the difference between a 2009.5 and a 2010?
And were there any 2010 convertibles?
There are few, if any significant differences. 2010 MY was a winddown production order to fill fleet orders. Because of the retooling for 2009.5, GM didn't plan on any major changes to begin with.

Differences:

* Some 2010 MY Speedometers Are Updated (But all 2009.5 & 2010 have DIC integrated) -> All that changed was a reduction in MPH as the speedometer went way beyond what the car could do
* FlexFuel badges (if applicable) are green, not yellow (consistent with other GM 2010 MY vehicles)
* TAPShift and other stuff minor stuff became "we don't care, production's ending and the order has to be filled" out-of-spec stuff. Some cars got StabiliTrak that weren't RPO'ed, same with Bluetooth and other stuff. Nobody got the wrong transmission or anything epic, however.

All G6 GXP and Convertible production (AFAIK) was halted to focus on fleet orders for 2010 MY after the Chapter 11 declaration. If there are 2010-titled units, they were either test cars, or special one-offs.

And there are plenty of one-offs, from the G6 GXP with a non-GXP (but 2009.5-updated) grille, to unique colors, etc.

There is no "touring package" - just sport and premium. But in 2010 MY, like I said, that stuff became a bit more slapstick... fleet buyers weren't as concerned and wouldn't even have the cars in 36 months anyways. You may have gotten Monsoon as a freebie, for example.

·
Registered
462 Posts
There were technically no specific 2010 MY equipment trims. As mentioned before all 2010s were built with whatever is leftover and in any combination. I have seen some 2010s with weird mix and match parts. GM basically just blindly snapped the cars together with any available parts and sold them at huge discounts as fleet. There were not much structure with regards to equipment content for each car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and info.
I checked Wikipedia (which is always right... right? :D ) which stated that GM actually fired up the line to create a run of 2010s to fulfill a fleet order. Any and all 2010s are supposed to be part of that order. It further stated that they cranked up the line, one more time in January, to produce one more true 2010 G6. "The last Pontiac". Amost sounds romantic if it's true. But Wikipedia, you know...
And yes, mine is titled as a 2010. There is/are a small handful of them out there for sale, mostly on CarMax. All are 4 doors, at least so far.
The "snapping them together with what's still available" makes sense. It worked well for me. This is the most heavily optioned car I've ever owned. (I have Stabilitrac and Bluetooth too. And my speedo reads 140. :D )
Hope it all stays working.

Edit - I also have the largest decklid spoiler I've ever seen on a G6, outside of the Hammerhead spoiler. It's about 2 inches thick, and the trailing edge extends about two inches back from the back edge of the decklid. I've yet to see that spoiler on any G6. I also have the "squared off" rocker extensions.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for all the comments and info.
I checked Wikipedia (which is always right... right? :D ) which stated that GM actually fired up the line to create a run of 2010s to fulfill a fleet order. Any and all 2010s are supposed to be part of that order. It further stated that they cranked up the line, one more time in January, to produce one more true 2010 G6. "The last Pontiac". Amost sounds romantic if it's true. But Wikipedia, you know...
And yes, mine is titled as a 2010. There is/are a small handful of them out there for sale, mostly on CarMax. All are 4 doors, at least so far.
The "snapping them together with what's still available" makes sense. It worked well for me. This is the most heavily optioned car I've ever owned. (I have Stabilitrac and Bluetooth too. And my speedo reads 140. :D )
Hope it all stays working.

Edit - I also have the largest decklid spoiler I've ever seen on a G6, outside of the Hammerhead spoiler. It's about 2 inches thick, and the trailing edge extends about two inches back from the back edge of the decklid. I've yet to see that spoiler on any G6. I also have the "squared off" rocker extensions.
Both the Pontiac G6 and Saturn Vue returned to production to burn off supply. There was also considerable fleet demand for these cars, especially the G6 that didn't shift to Malibu initially. GM had to work hard to convince rental fleets especially, that saw G6 as a more premium car vs Malibu. Some never came back...

The 2009.5 and 2010 Spoiler is unique, that's why it looks thicker, because it is. It was the new spoiler that was going to replace all other spoilers (Hammerhead aside) until the second-gen G6 was ready.

The 2009.5 reboot was all about buying the G6 time to stay on the market alongside the Epsilon II Malibu until the Alpha G6 was ready. Subtle, appearance-grade changes that could stay in production for three more years.

When bankruptcy became clear, the G6 was going to be scrapped anyways, with the vision to keep the G8 alive until Alpha became cheap enough to bring back the G6. It's what GM should be doing today with the CTS and ATS on Pontiac... and could easily, if they had the guts to pull it off.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Once again, thanks for the comments.
I've always liked the G6, but just recently found myself in the market for one. My wife likes mine so much that she's thinking about a drop-top. :D

Check your PMs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts