Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm considering a G6. I have a GM Card rebate, so I'm leaning toward a GM vehicle. The G6 seems like one of the more attractive GM vehicles. I haven't driven one yet, as I'm basically just researching cars at this point.

A few questions...

(1) As I understand it, all except the high-end models use electric rather than hydraulic steering. What's the electric steering like? Do y'all like it?
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but if the electrical system is off and the car is in neutral, can you still steer?

(2) I notice that base models come with steel wheels and wheel covers. Are the wheel covers metal or plastic?

(3) Ignoring rebates, what sort of discount off the recently-adjusted MSRP should a buyer expect?

Thanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
1.) Electric steering has been fine for me, but others have had problems, do a quick search and you'll find all about it. Yes, you can still steer if the car stops running, it just loses the assist in the same way that a conventional hydraulic assisted system would.
2.) Base wheel covers are plastic. The Chrome Tech option on the GT models is just a plactic cover over a rough aluminum wheel as well.
3.) With the recent price cuts dealers won't be as willing to make a deal. The pricing on the G6 currently is very fair, there is also a $500 rebate across the board right now.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Sixspeed,

I love the electric power steering, I like the feel and precision of it a lot more than any other hydraulic system I have driven. Some people don't like it but I think it's great. Some early 2005 model G6's had some trouble with the electric power steering (as well as some 2004 Malibu's) but it doesn't seem to affect later build 2005's and all 2006's. My 2006 has been flawless. I had electric power steering on my 2005 Pursuit also and it was great.

·
Registered
525 Posts
As said above by built4drivers...

I personally like tighter steering a lower speeds...but the steering changes with speed so I have to say it could use a little tweaking (I have an 05..so the 06+ models may have been tweaked already)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Aardvark,

"Ignoring Rebates" is a big mistake. The biggest price break comes on all 4cyl. G6 models. It is called the SmartBuy, "Mfr. Consumer Cash" rebate of $3,700. Check out the GMAC Payment Estimator. After GM card points and incentives, I paid about $11,500 (before Illinois Sales Tax) for our G6 last December.

Oh yea, the car has been a dream to drive so far w/3,100 miles.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
italian ice said:
"Ignoring Rebates" is a big mistake. The biggest price break comes on all 4cyl. G6 models. It is called the SmartBuy, "Mfr. Consumer Cash" rebate of $3,700. Check out the GMAC Payment Estimator. After GM card points and incentives, I paid about $11,500 (before Illinois Sales Tax) for our G6 last December.
Thanks! I don't think the $3,700 in "consumer cash" is still available. Needless to say, though, I'll be sure to take advantage of any and all rebates that are available if I buy a G6.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pontiac.com Select G6 sedan. you should see a link "Estimate Payment" If you click on the link you will identify the G6 Sedan, 1SA or 1SV which are both 4cyl. models and fill in your Zip Code.

It will show the GMAC Payment Estimator page with different options like traditional finance, lease and SmartBuy. You may also see the same rebate for the Chev. Malibu tool.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
105 Posts
italian ice said:
Pontiac.com Select G6 sedan. you should see a link "Estimate Payment" If you click on the link you will identify the G6 Sedan, 1SA or 1SV which are both 4cyl. models and fill in your Zip Code.

It will show the GMAC Payment Estimator page with different options like traditional finance, lease and SmartBuy. You may also see the same rebate for the Chev. Malibu tool.

Good Luck!
I've done this a couple of times just playing around and the estimations seem to be higher than what the dealers are offering.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Are you looking at the monthly payment or the "Mfr. consumer cash" rebate reference.

Strategy: You buy the car under the SmartBuy program. Make a couple of payments and then refinance it at a lower rate, or pay it off. All I was trying to show is how to purchase the car at the lowest possible price.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
italian ice said:
Well, you're absolutely right. I tried an Illinois zip code, and it showed $3700 in Mfr. consumer cash. I tried my California zip codes, and it showed $750.
:eek:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I tried an Illinois zip code, and it showed $3700 in Mfr. consumer cash. I tried my California zip codes, and it showed $750.
The rebates and various incentives vary by area. We live close to the MD and VA lines and there was $1000 more rebate to be had on a VA car than here in MD when we bought our 05 last year but it was based on buyers address. That means it wasn't a simple matter of crossing the line, buying the car and coming home.

·
Registered
216 Posts
italian ice said:
One more thing. For that price I have no problem with the plastic wheel covers.
You forgot to mention the 4 banger version doesn't come with ABS or traction control!!! It's just bare bones! Theres a reason it's so cheap. Having owned a G6 for almost a year before dumping it, I can say that there are better vehicles for the same or less money. The Mitsu Gallant is one. Can't beat a 10 year warranty!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.