Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone show me pics of contoured and molded splash guards installed? The GM accessories pages doesn't even show the pic of the molded ones, and I'd like to know what the difference between them adn the contoured is...besides $25. Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think Otcpharm has some pics. His car looks really sharp with the molded splash guards. They have nice 3-dimensional shape to them. I haven't seen the contoured ones, but I'm guessing they are just a flat piece of plastic?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Weller said:
I think Otcpharm has some pics. His car looks really sharp with the molded splash guards. They have nice 3-dimensional shape to them. I haven't seen the contoured ones, but I'm guessing they are just a flat piece of plastic?
Thanks. Here are a few pics.

You are correct in that the contoured guards are flat plastic - they are just shaped to follow the contours of the wheel well but not the body itself. The molded guards follow the contours of the body.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
otcpharm said:
Thanks. Here are a few pics.
I know I read this on the another board, but did you end up painting the splash guards to match the car, or the car to match the splash guards? And is that the crimson red? From the picture it looks a little more maroon than my crimson red. Maybe it's just the lighting?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Weller said:
I know I read this on the another board, but did you end up painting the splash guards to match the car, or the car to match the splash guards? And is that the crimson red? From the picture it looks a little more maroon than my crimson red. Maybe it's just the lighting?
I originally painted them to match the car, but it looked like crap.

So I stripped them and painted the rocker panels black to match the guards since the plastic on the rockers looked more charcoal grey than black.

The color is an '05 option - Sport Red Metallic. It's a metallic maroon tint, as opposed to the flat tint Crimson Red they're offering in '06. I can see why they replaced it, since GM was charging an extra $1000 for Sport Red Metallic on other models, but was giving it away on the G6.

You can't really see the metallic aspect of the paint in pictures, but in person it's really an incredibly deep, glistening color.

·
Registered
58 Posts
musicman8120 said:
Will these fit the coupe as well ?
There are different part numbers for the 06 sedan and coupe.

You can order them from your dealer, or GM parts direct.
Coupe part numbers:
17800504 Splash Guards, Molded Front Set, Black w/o Logo $33.59
12499555 Splash Guards, Molded Rear Set, Black w/o Logo $33.59

Sedan part numbers:
12499554 Splash Guards, Molded Front Set, Black w/o Logo $33.59

*note* these are GM parts direct prices. Dealer price will likely be higher.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Weller said:
There are different part numbers for the 06 sedan and coupe.

You can order them from your dealer, or GM parts direct.

Sedan part numbers:
12499554 Splash Guards, Molded Front Set, Black w/o Logo $33.59

*note* these are GM parts direct prices. Dealer price will likely be higher.
That's them.

I've found that my dealer is generally just a few dollars higher, but on some items they are a little lower when you take into account shipping charges.

They only wanted $36 and change for the guards.

·
Registered
58 Posts
otcpharm, mind if I ask what paint brand, and color did you use to paint the black? How's it holding up to the elements? Any chipping or peeling? Did you take the parts off the car to paint them, or just mask parts off?
I'm hoping to get around to this before spring. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Weller said:
otcpharm, mind if I ask what paint brand, and color did you use to paint the black? How's it holding up to the elements? Any chipping or peeling? Did you take the parts off the car to paint them, or just mask parts off?
I'm hoping to get around to this before spring. Thanks for your help!
DuPont. Don't know anything about the color code, other than it's black. It was a "leftover" that I got from a buddy that paints bikes.

It's holding up pretty well -- no peeling or chipping yet.

I just masked it off in the garage and used a detail sprayer to shoot it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts