Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I own a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT convertible. I have own the car for like 6 months and it's my first car. As a 18 year old, I require help with the situation I'm having. I do not have the knowledge of the history of the car or how many owners it passed down to during the 15 years of it's survival. I tried my best to show y'all the inside of the hydraulic reservoir. I have never put the car in convertible mode bc I'm missing the trunk cargo cover. But that's besides the point. I take a look at the hydraulic reservoir and I see it's empty. Within the reservoir, I see like a gray, sliver sludge at the bottom. Now I'm wondering how do I clean it? Or do I have buy a used one. Now I'm aware Pontiac convertibles can be tricky. But I'm hoping y'all would have the answer to my situation. I'm trying to make this car live longer and it's functions to live
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Steering wheel

Electrical wiring Cable Wire Electrical supply Audio equipment

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Helmet Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well first off welcome to car problems ? Ok my bets on its some kind of sealer additive.Well to change it you will have to remove it. That being said just flush it out if removable . Now going on you have to find leak they were trying to seal. Pump and hydraulic piston can be rebuilt back cover switch relay cane be jump out.but you can't have anything and I mean anything in trunk .read post on top not working and t op not secure in other post before trying good weather too not a rainy day project if gets stuck you got outs but their things to do first with top is up read post if top is stuck open .before any attempts to see if top works my guess it leaks hydraulic fluid some where back seat remove before any attempts to lower top and tie rope to trunk release trunk release t by e one if your buddy's stuck in there green handle read posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well first off welcome to car problems ? Ok my bets on its some kind of sealer additive.Well to change it you will have to remove it. That being said just flush it out if removable . Now going on you have to find leak they were trying to seal. Pump and hydraulic piston can be rebuilt back cover switch relay cane be jump out.but you can't have anything and I mean anything in trunk .read post on top not working and t op not secure in other post before trying good weather too not a rainy day project if gets stuck you got outs but their things to do first with top is up read post if top is stuck open .before any attempts to see if top works my guess it leaks hydraulic fluid some where back seat remove before any attempts to lower top and tie rope to trunk release trunk release t by e one if your buddy's stuck in there green handle read posts
Well I'm trying to clean the inside of the hydraulic reservoir. I don't want to add new hydraulic fluid inside of the reservoir with that sludge in it and creating more problems. I can't put the top down bc I'm missing the trunk cargo cover and the sludge inside of the reservoir. I get what you're saying, just remove it. Will be a challenge for me cause I don't wish to add more problems to it. But either way, it's my car, and I want everything working again. Appreciate the help

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
The cargo cover can be bypassed by putting a paper clip or similar into the switch. Not a long term solution, but would allow you to test. If you cannot suck the crud out directly, it may be worth adding a little hydraulic fluid (Pentosin CHF 11S) to see if it mixes or if the crud floats. Either option may allow you to find ways to get the stuff out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yep that 's a good move but if it's some kind of sealer additive going to have to try and flush out their is only one fluid to use I have a can and will give you more info tomorrow late buried in ahead. Jump cargo switch easy but if it gets stuck you have to disassemble alot of B's to fix research research what you have to one is remove back seat due before any attempts to lower and access to tru n k release top gives you access to trunk you can't push or pull open or close will bend and then more problems trunk only way to remove bolts to back of back seats who did you get car from mabe they know what's wrong and what shxt that put in resivior.could of had leak at lift cylinders or bad pump line look for fluid around trunk. Go over system understand what goes on to lift and close this site has the info or googggle it fire back any questions on forums good luck if not all the parts to it are worth a small fortune$$$$

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you touched the 'sledge'? Is it Gooey? or Gritty? Float, Sink? Does it have an odor? You really need to find out what it is. If it is all throughout the system, everything might need to be flushed. Think about the pump. But if it is harmless, then filling the system running it a bit to circulate, add an inline filter to catch the stuff until the fluid is clean and be good with it. I think it looks kind of like Aluma-seal, which is a radiator stop leak powder that could leave a layer on top that looks like that, and it has an odor.
Just sayin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts