Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 G6 convertible. When I open and close the top, it seems that the top is very "snug" with the rubber gaskets. This is good! But my concern is that the top seems to have to fight with the resistance of the rubber gaskets for a few seconds before the top opens.

I'm wondering what types of preventative maintenance other owners do to keep their their top opening and closing smoothly. I was thinking I would spray the gaskets with a rubber compatible silicon spray, but I'm open to any other suggestions for maintaining my top in great shape!

·
Perfessor
177 Posts
You get a crackling sound when the gaskets separate from the frame, right? That is normal. It's just the gaskets sticking to the metal framing.

One thing that will help (at least is has for me) is 303 Aerospace Protectant. I apply it after cleaning the gaskets with soap and water (to clean) plain water (to rinse), and letting it dry. Spray some on a microfiber towel and wipe down all the gaskets.

Not only will they look better, they will last a lot longer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I'm thinking the gaskets will last longer and it will also put less strain on the top motor.
Can you also tell me how often you clean and coat these and do you do this with the top retracted (in the trunk)?
Thanks!

·
Perfessor
177 Posts
I try (note the word 'try') to do them when I clean my car, but once a month will do it good. Having the top partially retracted is the easiest way. That way you can get to the one in the middle also. A damp microfiber towel is what I use for cleaning. The 303 is also good for the partition in the trunk to keep it looking good.

·
Registered
442 Posts
After cleaning I wiped on a thin layer of silicone grease to my weather strips (windows, door seals and convertible roof / trunk) it has made them all slightly more snug and no longer creaks when the roof opens. I do get a slight pop when the trunk cams open as the clamp is a bit tight on the drivers side. I have also gently lubricated the hinges where the roof folds and in the trunk area. At some point I need to change the hydraulic fluid but need to look at what should go in there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...I do get a slight pop when the trunk cams open as the clamp is a bit tight on the drivers side.
I'm getting the same "pop" out of the clamp and want to minimize this as much as possible to avoid any unnecessary stress on the motor. I'm hoping silicone or some other type of lube (330?) will make this open and close more smoothly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
maybe we will have to put the noise to a vote to see how common it is on the convertible. To my ear it sounds like the clamp is a bit tight and the trunk pops out when the hydraulics have enough pressure. I have never wanted to mess with it enough to see if there are any adjustments.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Does your folks top come down hard almost "slamming" just above the windshield on that header??

Mine does, and I slow it down with my hand as it's ready to close on top of the windshield.

Is the "hard close" normal??

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have also gently lubricated the hinges where the roof folds and in the trunk area. At some point I need to change the hydraulic fluid but need to look at what should go in there.
What did you lube the hinges with Boomer?

Any idea how often that fluid should be changed?
I'm guessing every few years or maybe every 50,000 miles??

One more top question please guys.....when you open the top halfway for maint. does it stay open, or close automatically after a certain amount of time??

·
Registered
442 Posts
My top does thud when it comes down. Guess this is normal as there is a fair bit of weight to be moved. I used a silicone lube spray on the hinges. The top will only stay in a mid way point for a certain amount of time before the hydraulics release and the top returns to either the open / closed resting position. I read that the dealership had some sort of cover and straps that would allow the hood to be held in the mid motion position for longer maintenance. I just poke the top move button periodically if I need to keep the top in a position for an extended period. I am also careful not to put my body parts anywhere I cannot get them back out quickly :)

Mine is an 07 and I doubt it has been changed (only had the car for a year myself). The top has no problems but I guess it is time for a change of fluid.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Top Maintence

If you read the owner manual is plainly say's to lube the rubber seals with Dielectric Grease. This will work great as I have tried it on mine. My car just had all of the top mechanics / linkages replaced at the dealer under extended warranty. So the top works the same as New. When comes down to the windshield it slows down but there is still a little bit of a clunk. So I agree it's heavy and a little noise is to be expected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts