Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

08 convertible
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most suppliers/manufacturers list the same rear shocks for the convertible, sedan and coupe. However, if you look up at the AC Delco website, who should know 馃榾, they list different parts. 540-196 convertible, 560-600 coupe and sedan
The part listed for convertibles is roughly twice the price.

Has anyone done any research on this? What is the difference?

Registered
It is a fair point, but I wonder if there is simply not a big enough market for the convertable part for it to be worth their while, especially if it lacks general platform (equinox) compatibility. Honestly, I am really just guessing here. Let us know if you find a better answer :)

08 convertible
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The obvious answer would be that the convertible is heavier than the other body styles and thus require both higher spring rates and more damping. Indeed, Moog and ACDelco both list different springs for the convertible. Is the weight difference enough to need a different shock? Maybe, I don't know.

In a lot of situations there are not enough cars of a certain model or sub-model for aftermarket manufacturers to service. When that happens, they usually specify the models they cover and not provide a listing for the ones they don't. Since none of the manufacturers (except ACDelco) exclude the convertible in their shock listings, it implies they are close enough to service with the sedan part. Maybe they are, maybe not.

Would be interesting to hear from someone who has used any of the other brands.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts