Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Help Help!!! I live in Wilmington delaware and my 2007 pontiac G6 convertible roof is stuck in the trunk. I took it to GM and they said they can't fix it because the part was discontinued. They said it is a pressure hose that's leaking.They can't take the roof out of the trunk either! Can anyone tell me what to do???:cry:

·
Registered
644 Posts
It kind of depends on how far things are getting if you operate the top and what you hope to achieve. If you can get the trunk to reverse open, two of you can lift the roof out of the trunk. It may also depends on the scale of the leak. If the hydraulic pump is out of fluid you may be able to add some and that may be enough to get you through one cycle or part of it. If you are looking for a permanent fix you will have to try your hand at finding the part it in a car breakers or maybe ebay (hopefully they showed you exactly where the problem is so you can investigate further).

Hope you get it fixed

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
It kind of depends on how far things are getting if you operate the top and what you hope to achieve. If you can get the trunk to reverse open, two of you can lift the roof out of the trunk. It may also depends on the scale of the leak. If the hydraulic pump is out of fluid you may be able to add some and that may be enough to get you through one cycle or part of it. If you are looking for a permanent fix you will have to try your hand at finding the part it in a car breakers or maybe ebay (hopefully they showed you exactly where the problem is so you can investigate further).

Hope you get it fixed
I have to agree with boomer. One thing puzzles me. If the garage was able to tell you that a leaking pressure hose is the cause of the problem, they must have had the trunk lid open. If they did, hopefully it was in reverse as boomer suggests. I don't know if a bidirectional code reader could open it or not. I think it could unlatch it. If so then possibly you will have hope. Get the trunk lid open in reverse. Some members have had the ram&cylinders repaired at top hydraulics. They may be able help you if it is a hose.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Convertme

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sounds to me like the GM dealer is full of crap!! If the car was brought in with the top "stuck" in the trunk they couldn't possibly have diagnosed a hydraulic hose leak...and if it is, in fact, a "hose leak", that's an easy fix.
1) Is there an error displayed on your radio?
2) Enlist a strong friend or two to help you lift the top out of the trunk and put in top up position (doesn't have to be latched closed).
3) Remove the passenger side trunk trim panel in order to get to the hydraulic pump. Unplug the trunk light and convertible top position switch from the trim panel.
4) Check hydraulic pump to make sure hydraulic fluid is at proper level. If not at proper level, you have a leak somewhere.
5) If (4) above indicates a leak, inspect the hydraulic rams and all hydraulic hoses for leaks. The main rams are notorious for seals going bad and leaking.
6) Inspect all convertible top wiring, especially around the hinges, for any split or exposed wires.

I'd start with the above and report back here as I'm sure one of us can assist with further troubleshooting....you won't get much help from any GM dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts