Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone has a manual that will show me how these function. The "wing" on the driver's side that folds in and out behind the back shelf has quit working. We can manually move it so the top still goes up and down, but I can't find anything broken or unhooked. If anyone has a good manual or advice they can refer me to would be appreciated. It's a 2007 G6 GT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2008 has the same issue. Mine became an issue when I heard a crunch. The driver's wing hung up just a tiny bit and the roof pressed down on it. It snapped a tiny plastic piece on the back of the wing. From searches I've done it looks to be about $500+ to replace that whole back deck (left/right wing and center piece).

Until I get a hold of one, I hold the wing in place when I put the top down (long arms).

·
Registered
301 Posts
Pattonism, the left and the right side are mirror images of each other. From what you are describing, it sounds as if the cable is broken, it attaches about 1/2 way under the back deck and the attaching end is usually a brass color loop on a torx head anchor that lies perpendicular to the car. The cable goes into a metal 'noodle', then into a housing that terminates at the wing itself. When the deck shelf raises, the cable is pulled and brings the wing in.
I've had the driver cable break twice, seems like if anything will go wrong, this is it.
After you get a fresh one, keep it lubed up, along with the mechanism.
As for replacement parts, cables I believe are still dealer available, if not eBay.
For a replacement shelf, eBay seems the answer unless you are close to a major city with a good salvage yard. When I was looking for one, my strategy was to search for 'G6 convertible' parts, and if they had a picture of the car, I'd ask about a shelf. If you are sweet as pie, you can score one. Remember, they are in the business of selling used parts, but some are not as much in demand, so they don't list them. If you are willing to buy, they will likely sell.
When buying, have them undo the six bolts from the body to the shelf, 3 per side, 10mm?, and undo the cables where they attach under the hinge as I noted above. Those take a small torx head. DO NOT let them cut the cables, you need those, and they are getting hard to find.
I am a little gun shy now, and I watch my top go up and down and keep an eye on the wings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
301 Posts
Part#s are 25906916 LH, 25906915 RH if memory serves.
(I can say that, as I am a Parts Manager by trade, no longer with GM though. We memorize stuff for a living, but always have to include the CYA). Search by those #'s eBay, confirm the text on hits you read that the one listed is the correct side + confirm picture if shown. If you see an illustration from the GM Parts Catalogue, don't be concerned, as they picture one cable, the listing are in the text matter. About $60.
You can attempt to install from underneath or you can install it with car running, wing up, roof partially up. DO NOT do this with key off, as you only have 30 seconds before close. Top will stay up with car running, I don't like doing that, but what other choice is there?
Instead, remove old cable, noting routing, wing end is held on with 2 clips, lift up the tab, and slide them off. install new in route w/o connecting loop end.
Connect loop last, do that with roof up, and go through trunk.
Lube the heck out of everything that moves. There is a lube listed in the manual, and another of my posts - 12346241. No substitutes, some posters noted plastic issues with others. Not worth the risk to me.
I hope that this helps!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok I have a 2008 with only 51,000 miles and it is in great shape one owner but the problem is the driver side bat wing didn't go in probably a broken cable and I didn't see it until I heard a crunch pput top back up but look at it and the plastic colver broke off and the mechism that moves it pulled loose from the assembly. Took it to me local Chevy Dealer body shop they said while cable is available the mechism isn't and didn't know where to find it. I think the just didn't want to fix it could it be put back in place it looked like a screw held it there and it pulled loose. If it can't be remounted can I find the piece for driver's side bat wing? If I can't could I still use the top without it? I live just outside of Owensboro, Ky on the Ohio river about 2 hours east of Louisville and 2 hours north of Nashville. Does anyone know someone who could fix it for me that is close to me, the dealer said they didn't know of anyone. They did weld a hing on truck lid that had a crack and caused the lid not to close correctly. But the shop manager who got that done for me is no longer there and I have doubts about the woman who is shop foreman she was very rude and didn't care. I need help if I can't use the top then the car is really not worth anything to me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You can get the whole rear assembly on eBay or salvage. See notes above.
These are not held in with a screw.
The wings and mechanisms are mounted to the center cover with jesus clips. The part that breaks is usually a loop type holder for the pivot.
(Best bet is to run the top partially up and compare the sides)
You can run without the bat wing. Did it for a few months.
You might be able to repair it, it won't be invisible, but it will work. The repair involves 2 1/2" slits and a zip tie
Kinda ghetto, but works.
I have pictures in a previous post.
If I can run them down, I will repost here.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
This same thing happened to me, including the crunch. But I don't have to hold it, I just make sure it's pushed in before I bring top up

·
Registered
301 Posts
Panel is held on with 2 clips on holding cable to wing, and one very large pin, remove eclip on end, and tap out.
(Mine had a cable accident and broke this one, so thats what those zipties are doing there, they hold the pin against the cradle)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2007 g6 gt, by taking the wing off thats broken, will it not read a error code anymore and allow me to let the top down?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, I just wanted to reiterate what davez26 said about working on the retractable roof with the key off. It's important to understand that the folding top isn't designed to hold mid-position for any length of time with the key off as the hydraulic system loses pressure quickly and the roof will fall. This frustrates repairs on the roof as you need able bodied assistants to hold it up while working and any work on the folding top can be very dangerous.

\Here is a thread I wrote some time ago after I discovered that the roof can be held in a mid-cycle "service position" where most of the internals are visible using a GM special tool: "Service Position" for the convertible top...

I recommend retractable owners read this for reference and see if they might want to look for or make one of these "special tools". (I found one on eBay.) I've used it several times for inspection and servicing my car and feel it's worthwhile to have. Take care and good luck. - Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts