Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Have an 06 GT convertible that will no longer fun.ction.
Top unlatches, trunk raises slightly and then doesn't go any further.
Couldn't see any visible leaks or pinched wires and you do hear top motor working, just trunk won't raise beyond a few inches.
Checked fluid in reservoir and its slightly below max line.
Don't have access to a tech II reader so I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If the fluid level is around the max and you are not aware of any leak it may be more of a sensor / wiring issue. A number of owners have reported broken wires, especially where they curve round a hinged area. There are micro-switches that would indicate if the trunk is reverse open / closed that that may cause the top to stop if they are not providing the right indication either through a faulty switch or the wiring. A scan tool would make this easier, but visual inspection and a continuity check with a multi-meter may also help locate the problem. There are threads on broken wiring that others have addressed that I am sure you would be able to find.

Good luck with the fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boomer,

Appreciate your thorough response.
I'll see if I can track it down myself.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is there any message on your HU display? "Top Not Secure"? Although you may not visibly see a leak, and hydraulic fluid appears at an OK level, I suggest using your hand to feel directly under the main rams for any hydraulic fluid. A very small leak is enough for the ram not to work properly as pressure can't build up effectively. I agree with Boomer's suggestion to check for a kinked or broken wire. If these steps don't uncover the issue, then find a good mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) with a Tech2 scan tool, that has worked on GM cars before to possibly identify a bad sensor or micro switch. Also, check out this thread if you haven't already - How To replace the convertible top hydraulic ram

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there any message on your HU display? "Top Not Secure"? Although you may not visibly see a leak, and hydraulic fluid appears at an OK level, I suggest using your hand to feel directly under the main rams for any hydraulic fluid. A very small leak is enough for the ram not to work properly as pressure can't build up effectively. I agree with Boomer's suggestion to check for a kinked or broken wire. If these steps don't uncover the issue, then find a good mechanic (not necessarily the dealer) with a Tech2 scan tool, that has worked on GM cars before to possibly identify a bad sensor or micro switch. Also, check out this thread if you haven't already - How To replace the convertible top hydraulic ram
Hi,

Thanks for the responses.
Top not secure message would display when raised and then go off when cycled back to close position.
Checked for frayed wires and also checked under pump and was dry underneath.
Without proper tools/knowledge I wasn't going to try anymore
Brought to mechanic last Tuesday and he was able to get top to retract into trunk properly.
Continued diagnostics to confirm operation and now top is stuck in down position with no sound from motor or pump.
Ge's accustomed to working on similar hardtop cars MB 500, etc and this one has been a challenge.
He stepped away to review codes again, didn't find any leaks, frayed/crimped wires or anything visible that would cause this.
I've searched forum and couldn't find anything similar,
I'm going to continue to search here as well as any guidance that others may be able to provide.
Thanks in advance for your advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts