Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello… new to forum. Just picked up a 06 g6 gt hardtop convertible.161k and in great condition. But previous owner installed aftermarket radio and alarm (no remote) worthless, and few other components. But now top doesn’t work. Seems no power to switch. Fluid seems good, where do I start? Checked all fuses and relays.. any help would be great
Wheel Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle

·
Registered
871 Posts
Unfortunately, the generic status messages would appear on the stock radio driver information center, so the usual hints will be missing. Good that you have checked the fluid. Do you have the soft cover in place in the trunk and have you checked the sense switch where the soft cover hooks into place is connected / working? Other common issues are broken / frayed wiring especially near the hinge points in the trunk.

...And welcome to the club :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
As boomer suggests, after checking proper placement of soft cover and broken wires, check fuses. You say "NOW top doesn't work". Did it previously work when you took possession of the car?

·
Registered
542 Posts
As boomer suggests, after checking proper placement of soft cover and broken wires, check fuses. You say "NOW top doesn't work". Did it previously work when you took possession of the car?

Have you tried getting a diagnostic scan. From gm is possibly you best bet. There are several good scan tools on the market today that may help you if gm not close to you. I am not an expert on these but 1of4885 has done the research on these. Hopefully he can chime in. Welcome and good luck.
Convertme

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have scan tools but nothing to read a top code. I haven’t removed the headliner yet(next step) I have checked sensor in trunk on that slide and it’s plugged up. Don’t know if it’s bad?. Wiring as far as I can tell around hinges look ok? But no power to anything. Is there a way to test motors? And does top work off factory radio? Seeing it gets messages saying top not secure or other info? And previous owner showed me pics with top down when he owned. He says he thought it was a fuse or relay. But thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have you tried getting a diagnostic scan. From gm is possibly you best bet. There are several good scan tools on the market today that may help you if gm not close to you. I am not an expert on these but 1of4885 has done the research on these. Hopefully he can chime in. Welcome and good luck.
Convertme
I know not everyone wants to get involved with the expense of scan tools. But for many diagnostic and troubleshooting tasks, they've very useful, especially if you plan to keep your car indefinitely. OBD has evolved way beyond the first emission control diagnostics it started with decades ago. Many auto parts stores will scan the basics of your car for free. But all vehicles have proprietary systems that universal scanners don't deal with. After questioning the vendor, I took a chance and bought one of these scanners four years ago and have used it for numerous tasks beyond just reading the FTC (folding top controller) trouble codes. I've also used it to open the trunk, reset factory radios and set up remote key fobs. It's not perfect, but I feel it's earned its keep for my uses. If you're considering a scan tool, take the time to ask the vendor the questions you have to get confirmation the tool will fit your needs. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok still working on top, but today another issue. Drove fine and then parked in garage.had a code for maf so I installed new maf. Reset codes. Went to start and just cranked. No fuel at the rail. Hear no fuel pump running. Dropped tank, checked all plugs for power. Seems to be good have power to pump.now here’s the weird thing. Tested pump with direct power and worked fine. Slid tank back under car, hooked up all power plugs and then turned key, fuel shoots out of line? Pump now working. Hooked up fuel lines to car and fired up for 5 seconds and died. Unplugged fuel lines, nothing again? Pump not running. Is this sign of pump going out or something else? Already ordered new pump(225$). Any help would be greatly appreciated. And only code I’m getting is p0050. 02 sensor? Thanks

·
Registered
871 Posts
Pumps can develop dead spots where the brushes do not make good contact. For a short time, you can sometimes bang in the pump / tank and get it moving again, but if this is the case the pump is on its way out and it is only a matter of time before you are left stranded. Not saying this is the problem you have, but maybe it helps with your diagnosis.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok so my tank has 2 plugs, one to pump and one to sending unit. One to pump is 4 pin. Black, purple,grey,orange. When key on getting power to purple pin only. But if I straight wire, black and grey run pump. At least straight wired. So should I be getting power to more pins? Or pump just acting up. Car runs when straight wired but pump continuously runs. Any help ??????? Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
In regards to top, switch is still available and cheap. Are you getting any messages when hitting the switch? The cover over tire in trunk- that switch wears out. I haven’t found a part but I fixed mine by bypassing it (just make sure nothing is above that level of cover before putting top down). If no message, start checking writing to motor and make sure everything is connected tightly. If you had a bad motor, it would still be getting power, so doubt that’s it. Check power to motor. A shop can check it easily. May be worth paying for electrical check on top wiring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts