Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So first off the top would not open. So me being the smart man that I am... opened the deck lid with a little manual labor and holding the open button. once the deck lid was open the top worked perfect and everything closed up fine in the trunk.... Go to shut the top and the deck lid unlocks and and pops up. Motor is still running no movement, try to add a little manual persuasion and the pump shuts off. Deck lid will not raise. Thoughts? New to the site. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Can you tell if the pump is working or not? can you see any hydraulic fluid leaks? with the roof in the trunk, it will be a challenge to check and add fluid if required! I have yet to do that but others on here could guide better than I can.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Low fluid is pretty rare, and usually the lift cylinders get 'slow' first as they weep.
You were able to persuade the top up a bit then continue, and that makes me suspect wiring.
The cylinders apply pressure to the lid to raise, and the latches deploy allowing that. If the top module detects that the deck lid has raised cleared the latches (there are micro switches in there) the pump continues to build pressure and raise the top. If the switches do not indicate the deck has cleared the latches, pump shut down. Note -Fluid in these cars never gets 'used' and only a leak in the system will reduce fluid.
Take a very careful look at the wiring on the top hinges right and left, especially were it bends and gets rubbed. Many owners have top trouble related to the wiring taking a break there.
Mine had what looked like a snag, and just a few strands, and I have intermittent operation. It would start to go up, fire the pump, then stop.
Please report back any findings.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had to take it in to the shop and have the scanner taken to it. Rear compartment switch harness needs to be replaced. One of the micro switches is not working properly. They were able to get the switch to work to get the top up. error code 'B366E'---- RF RCL unlatch switch

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone have a map of the switches and which code they are. I too have a top that does not work, I suspect a faulty switch or wiring. Mine is closed and locked but says "top not secured". I have a friend with a SnapOn scanner and can scan the codes. We did this once but didn't know what each code meant. I know my pump works as we were able to manually initiate things but can't get it to initiate on it'e own.

·
Registered
313 Posts
You seek bulletin 07-08-67-10B.
I am at work, unable to load, send .PDF.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a .PDF somewhere, I was at work dealing with Rover issues, and just threw that out, so sorry for the mess.
Glad to be of service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thank you so much for the PDF! This is definitely going to help get my top up again. I wonder if anyone made copies of that hardtop-specific GM DVD sent to service reps. I would pay big for that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had to take it in to the shop and have the scanner taken to it. Rear compartment switch harness needs to be replaced. One of the micro switches is not working properly. They were able to get the switch to work to get the top up. error code 'B366E'---- RF RCL unlatch switch

Thanks for the input.
Hey Ben is your shop somewhere in the NE by any chance?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thank you so much for the PDF! This is definitely going to help get my top up again. I wonder if anyone made copies of that hardtop-specific GM DVD sent to service reps. I would pay big for that.
The service manual DVD for the G6 has been sold on eBay by this vendor for quite a while. It covers all models including the convertibles. Here's a link to the current listing:

Several people here have these. I feel it's well worth the money. Just check the system requirements so you make sure your computer can run it. - Mark

·
Registered
31 Posts
The service manual DVD for the G6 has been sold on eBay by this vendor for quite a while. It covers all models including the convertibles. Here's a link to the current listing:
[/URL]

Several people here have these. I feel it's well worth the money. Just check the system requirements so you make sure your computer can run it. - Mark
My mind is blown! I have the required OS, this should work on my PC. I am going to get one anyway but I am not sure it the same thing as the DVD that dealers got back when the G6 convertible came out? I thought it was a full-feature video presentation on the hardtop or something, not just reading. Maybe I was just well-wishing, I can get caught up in technical document jargon and have trouble moving forward from there, but it is well worth the shot. I have never had a car this easy (or relatively cheap) to fix before. I pretty much fixed everything, myself from the tail light to the turning signal switch. The last part is the convertible top. It comes unlatched, but the motor stops there. I bought it like that with both flipper doors loose and dangling around. =( I will be sure to give this a try, thank you!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm sure this DVD isn't the same thing you're thinking of, but it seems to include everything GM wrote about the G6 (all models) for the technicians and fortunately the convertible is included. Here's a link to the thread I started last year when I got the DVD if you want to see what my impressions were at the time:

I'm always looking at it and even moved it from the first laptop I installed it on to another newer one using the same license key without any theatrics. Good luck. - Mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts