Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, new guy here with a 2007 GT convertible. Has anyone modified the trunk release to some easy manual release? Maybe adding a keyed release from another model. I am trying to come up with something much easier than thru the back seat. I would consider removing the badge, drilling a hole and adding a cable hoop to the outside, then reattaching the badge so that the cable is hidden behind it. After all, the badge is attached with 2 sided tape and that is easily replaced. It would be much simpler than going thru the back seat.

I have had the 'top not secure' message a few times and that kills the trunk release button as well as the remote. So far, the battery disconnect option has worked but, what happens when it doesn't concerns me.

.Any thoughts on this issue?

·
Registered
205 Posts
One of the ways to get the trunk open while servicing the retractable top system is to use a GM Tech II compatible scanner. One capability of these scanners is that they can read the codes set by the FTC (Folding Top Controller) and open the trunk with the push of a button by overriding the error code. The GM scanners are expensive, but there are less expensive alternatives. A couple of years ago I bought the predecessor of one of these scanners:

It's quite affordable and I've used mine many times to scan and check the proprietary systems of my G6 retractable (and I confirmed it could open the trunk). It seems to pretty much duplicate the functionality of the GM scanner for a home user. If you plan to keep your retractable for the long term, I recommend a scanner of this type. Before buying mine, I asked the vendor for assurance that it would handle the G6's systems and was told it would. I haven't been disappointed. Good luck. - Mark

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that link. It looks like a very good scanner. I will check into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts