Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever done this?
I have the 4 speed auto (4T45E) with the "normal" automatic shifter.
Would like to convert to tap shift.

Specifically...
Is the TCM already programmed to accommodate the tap shift?
Are the shift cables the same?
Is the DIC/dash already set up to accommodate the "M" and gear display?
Is is just a matter of adding the shifter and maybe a couple of wires? Is the harness the same?

Any insight will be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I'm not sure of the procedure for the swap, but I would imagine you'll need a TCM. I called the dealer last week to see if they had a TCM in for the tap shift for my 2006 GT. I'll wait to get a decent price on one as my tap-shift doesn't work 100%. It's been iffy for a few years where I'll start out in first, then move up to second and I'll remain in first. It's quite an annoyance as it was one of the things why I decided to get the GT model. Still, the GT has a lower final drive although when I test drove a standard V6 model there was only ~150rpm difference at 70mph.

The V6 was changed a bit in 2008 I believe and I've been told different things at different dealers as to what TCM is compatible with my 2006 V6. I've been procrastinating as I'd rather not spend $300+ on a TCM that might not even work. Or, I can get a new one, only to have something else go wrong with the car.

When I'm under it next I can attempt to take some photos of what I can see if you want to try to compare it your 2010.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks. I appreciate that. The info regarding this is a bit sparse.
I know (I think) that the 2006 or 2007 got a separate TCM, while the earlier cars had the transmission control incorporated into the PCM.
I've got software that allows me to make adjustments. At least to my model year. Just don't know if it's a generic TCM "image" - just with different switches and wiring, or if it's different image in the TCM, too. Logic would seem to dictate that the programming is different, but stranger things have happened.
If I can make this work, I'll share my info with the forum.

·
Registered
638 Posts
if you have tuning software you should be able to ad the tapshift shifter and wireing, and enable tapshift in the tuning software..... at least in EFI live you can anyways

·
Registered
1 Posts
(The V6 was changed a bit in 2008)

The engine changed for the 2007 Model year to a VVT, power went from 200hp to 224hp but torque remained the same.

Mark.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts