Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my overflow tank never stays at the fill line..

Here is the history:

I just bought this car like last month, haven't drove it much because it had an oil light on and I didn't want to damage the car.

I got the oil light fixed (Oil Pressure Switch was bad)

Now I'm checking fluids and I notice the coolant was really low... like an inch of coolant on the overflow tank... and there was no heat in the cabin.

I buy some antifreeze 50/50 and dump it in to the fill line. I turn the car on to run it through the engine, when the engine cooled down, it was back down to the same about 1 inch from the bottom line in the overflow tank. Still no heat.

Eventually I've done this cycle a few times and I've just finished my 1 gallon antifreeze container. and after driving and cooling down, it seems to always go back down to the 1 inch above empty... Though I have noticed one thing odd..

I am getting heat in the cabin now, but only when driving not when parked.. As odd as that is.

Since I'm getting heat I can assume that there is antifreeze running through the system and through my heater core. but the strange bit is that it only pumps out heat when driving!

and I have no radiator cap to tell if my radiator is full, so theres no way for me to tell if I'm just filling up the radiator and it was really really low..

Anybody have any helpful suggestions or places to look?

Many Thanks,
Russell

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts
sounds like there still might be some air in the system. you're on the right track though, I sometimes have to run and cool car 4-5 times to get it to suck in all the coolant.
..but out of curiosity any coolant in your oil, or smoke coming from exhaust? that's a sure sign of head gasket leak.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've checked the oil cap and don't see any frothy chocolate milk looking residue, it looks like regular oil. I recently had an oil change done since I bought the car and the techs that did it didn't mention any coolant being present (but who knows if they test for things like that).

I added 50/50 universal antifreeze, but when I just looked it up today it says I should have put DEX-COOL coolant (silica free). But I haven't noticed any gelling of the antifreeze and have yet to overheat, I have never experienced overheating on this car since I bought it, and I pushed it pretty hard after my initial purchase because I wanted to see if the gauges worked and how the ride was at 80+ and all seemed well, apart from the low engine oil pressure light that came off and on over and over, turns out it was only the oil pressure sender, that was bad.

I've only had an issue so far with the coolant, I'm assuming the reservoir was low since I bought the car but this is my first car and I really didn't know how to buy cars when I purchased this one. I've been putting coolant into the reservoir over and over, hopefully eventually it'll just stay..

Upon closer inspection I did notice a small drip in the reservoir itself, but the coolant loss is actually way faster than just a drip, I wish I had a radiator cap so I could just fill the radiator up and it could put a bit of worries out of my head

- Russell

·
Super Moderator
4,159 Posts
As long as the coolant says its safe with any type you'll be okay. and now a days they all seem to be safe for both green and Dex cool.
Id try starting the car with heater on full blast. Let the car run until the engine cooling fans come on. If they don't and it seem to be heating and cooling itself, shut off let cool, fill the reservoir, then repeat until the coolant level stays the same and you get warm air while parked. It sound like your probably pretty close since you've already added a gallon, and you have heat while driving. So you may only have to do this once or twice. and as far as the reservoir goes if you have dripping leak you definitely want to replace ASAP. And to avoid going through the same thing (I've gone through this way to many times) use a turkey baster to empty just the reservoir then replace and fill.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm still running through coolant, no milky substance in the oil so I'm assuming no water is in the oil, no overheating at all, air is blowing hot while standing still now, but I did notice steam coming out of the tailpipe, it smelled like a chemical but didn't smell sweet.

I don't really know how to rule out a headgasket issue, but wouldn't the oil being still -- well, oil; rule out a headgasket? I'm very confused lol!

I'm such a pain I've got like 4 posts and all of them are me nagging you guys. Sorry!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having this same issue!

My car is a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 3.9 L. I accidentally left my antifreeze resevoir's cap off one day and all of the antifreeze came gushing out. It must have done something to it because as soon as I put my antifreeze in it goes down to about the 1 inch level you were talking about, but I can see no visible leaks. I also have no heat. My ac isn't working either.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't explain why your heat or ac doesn't work, If your blowers aren't blowing air at all, then I'd assume your blower motor is shot...

But as far as the antifreeze... I just kept on refilling it turning the car on letting it get hot and go down to the 1 inch its been going to, 2 gallons later I filled it up and it hasn't dropped down to 1 inch since then, it seems like my radiator was completely empty, but I wasn't overheating for some reason... if you don't overheat than you should be fine just keep on refilling the reservoir..

Before you do this, I would suggest doing the following (I didn't know I should do this, but I'm relaying it to you!)

1) Check your tailpipe smoke, if its really humid and smells like maple syrup, you've likely got a coolant leak into your engine.

2) Check your oil cap for a yoohoo or chocolate milk looking substance, if it doesn't look like oil, its likely a headgasket problem.. Thats terrible news..

3) Look beneith your car for coolant leaks, if so you'll have to fill your reservoir with some kinda UV Dye and scan your engine with some UV Light

4) Theres also a way to have a leak in your heater core, if you have one of those, your cabin will fog up and smell like maple syrup, OR it could get really wet on your floor boards, and also obviously smell like maple syrup.

5) Another thing you should do, is check the reservoir cap as it could easily be a bad cap..

BUT I'd definitely suggest running a gallon or so thru the reservoir.. it started getting better after 1 gallon, started getting heat in the cabin when driving, after 2 gallons I don't have an issue with heat while idling in park..

I wish you the best my friend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check under the car for antifreeze, check the oil for milky substance, with the car running check the hoses, radiator, water pump and reservoir for leaks. Assuming you don't find it, it is likely the intake manifold gasket is blown especially if you smell it and can't quite find it. The Gold standard is to take to an honest mechanic and have the system pressure tested. Some shops with do this for free. Have then show you the leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Most people don't know how to refill a coolant system properly. Fill reservoir to line. Start the car fill it to line again. Turn on AC or heat to Max run it in idle and wait for temperature gauge to rise above 190 after level drops again fill it to line again and shut car off let sit over night check level fill again if needed. If that doesn't work then u can try air removal process..if don't know how ask. Good luck

1 - 11 of 11 Posts