Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car started leaking a sizable amount of coolant recently and I suspected the water pump to be the problem. Took it to Firestone and they say the water pump is fine and the leak is coming from the timing cover. They want $800 to replace the cover and gasket, flush the coolant system, and replace the Dex-Cool. Insane compared to the $20 replacement pump I was planning on.

I haven't a clue about things related to the timing chain in our cars, and Firestone says this is a lengthy and involved repair.

Does anyone have any experience with this problem? How much would a dealership charge for the repair?

2005 Pontiac G6 GT with 87,200 miles and the 3.5L V6 engine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I would want to verify for myself the source of the leak. If they put dye in it already a 10 dollar black light will help. Replacing the timing chain cover is a big job.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I'll probably catch hell for even suggesting it but if it were mine I would try stop-leak. I have had it stop timing chain cover leaks twice on two different cars.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Timing chain cover? I know it’s been a while since I got that far into an engine where I needed to remove the timing chain cover but I surely do not remember water there. I mean, is there really coolant on the timing chain, I don't think so.

Please let me know if I missed something in today’s autos. Because from what I remember if you have water there you have a much bigger problem.
I would be 100% sure to get a second opinion.
(It is late and my sarcasm is high)
:0

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leaks, leaks, and more leaks

Wife was told the timing cover gasket "appeared" to be leaking coolant. So what happened with yours?
I had Firestone do the repair, I talked them down to $700 and they threw in a "free" water pump replacement since they had to remove the old one anyway.

The coolant leak stopped but just last week I did an oil change myself and saw that my engine has been oozing oil all over the place. I'm wondering if Firestone had something to do with it...

I must say my G6 has been trying my patience the last year. The long term reliability seems terrible on the car. Especially frustrating since I do all the scheduled maintenance and then some while my friends have late 90s Fords or Hondas and don't do ANY maintenance besides an occasional oil change and their cars seem fine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I had Firestone do the repair, I talked them down to $700 and they threw in a "free" water pump replacement since they had to remove the old one anyway.

The coolant leak stopped but just last week I did an oil change myself and saw that my engine has been oozing oil all over the place. I'm wondering if Firestone had something to do with it...

I must say my G6 has been trying my patience the last year. The long term reliability seems terrible on the car. Especially frustrating since I do all the scheduled maintenance and then some while my friends have late 90s Fords or Hondas and don't do ANY maintenance besides an occasional oil change and their cars seem fine.
A small amount of "oozing oil" (which then collects dust & appears as black "ooze") from some engine gaskets is normal. Got any pics of yours?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yep. They replaced the timing cover gasket. The extended warranty I bought covered it. I guess I'm too cynical when it comes to leaks I don't even see in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts